Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Questions on FFC Printings & Blackmoor
Havard Wrote:
finarvyn Wrote:As Havard put it, apparently I'm "allergic to 3E material". Tongue
If you have an allergy it is much milder than the people I normally talk to.
That's unfortunate. Blackmoor is such an awesome setting, but there is so little overall support for it that we Blackmoorians need to stick together more and pick nits less.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
finarvyn Wrote:
Havard Wrote:
finarvyn Wrote:As Havard put it, apparently I'm "allergic to 3E material". Tongue
If you have an allergy it is much milder than the people I normally talk to.
That's unfortunate. Blackmoor is such an awesome setting, but there is so little overall support for it that we Blackmoorians need to stick together more and pick nits less.

Well said! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Hm. Well, don't anyone get me wrong--I'm not 'dumping' on later, d20 materials.

I come from a complicated RP background (some Old School, some New School), including several years of d20 system rules, but after years of it, I've yearned for a 'simpler time' where roleplaying and immersion are more important than labyrinthine, convoluted rules. It's like a room in your home: you can fill up every square inch of floorspace with furniture (=rules) but then you'll be constantly banging your toes and breaking them with every step. It's impossible to get from one end of the room to the other! :lol: Trust me, I know what that's like, as I grew up in a house just like that with all-furniture and no walking-room. I like my RPing to have lots of open space for freedom's sake. I don't want to break my imagination's toes on a profusion of rules. Wink

When it come's to the 'fluff' text, which fleshes out a campaign, I enjoy sifting through various options, but I'm also tired of the towering stat blocks with their tightly interwoven clusters of numbers and densely interdependent game-mechanics.

(rant over). Smile
DungeonDevil Wrote:I'm also tired of the towering stat blocks with their tightly interwoven clusters of numbers and densely interdependent game-mechanics.
Oh, I agree 100% with you on this. When I read the d20 Blackmoor materials I don't do it for the rules and/or stat blocks. I read them for the background only. Since they weren't done with OD&D, I wish they could have been done system-free.

But I still read them. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
finarvyn Wrote:
DungeonDevil Wrote:I'm also tired of the towering stat blocks with their tightly interwoven clusters of numbers and densely interdependent game-mechanics.
Oh, I agree 100% with you on this. When I read the d20 Blackmoor materials I don't do it for the rules and/or stat blocks. I read them for the background only. Since they weren't done with OD&D, I wish they could have been done system-free.

But I still read them. 8)

I think we arent that far apart. I have played and enjoyed pretty much every edition, but I was never really that interested in rules. That doesnt mean I dont think rules matter, but I am primarily interested in settings rather than rulesets.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign