Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Hobbit Film Introduction
Sparked by the recent discussion about the Hobbit film over at DF, I was inspired to write an introduction scene to the film, as I would like it to be presented. While some feel differently, I think that this movie needs to place the story in the context of the Lord of the Rings, since most of the audience will have seen the LotR films, but many will not know exactly how the Hobbit is connected to these films. The following intro tries to link several elements between the stories:

The Hobbit
There was a time when Hobbits were known as peaceful creatures, who stayed in their hobbit holes and never minded anyone’s business but their own. We all know that Hobbits were to play an important role in the War of the Rings. But how was it that Hobbits were to become tangled up in such affairs? Well, it all started more than eighty years ago. They world was a more peaceful place back then.

The forces of evil were not as strong as they became later. Yet it was at this time that Sauron first began to manifest his power again after his defeat. It was the Ring which drew him out from his hiding of course. The Ring which contained much of his power drew him to the forest of Greenwood, an elven realm north of Lorien, close to the Misty Mountains. There, the Dark Lord constructed the fortress of Dol Guldur. The elves in the area knew of him, but they had no idea who this dark power really was. To them he was simply called the Necromancer.

But with the rise of Dol Guldur, creatures of evil were drawn to the darkness. Orcs of the Misty Mountains grew braver. And in the forest the children of Shelob were drawn from their holes. Gradually, the Greenwood was transformed to a much darker place, known then as the Mirkwood. The growing darkness stretched even beyond Laketown and to the Lonely Mountain. Where a mightier creature still, stirred. It was at this time that the peaceful Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, heard a knock on his door.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Big Grin Nice!

I picture the first minutes of the Hobbit as nothing but a soundless clip of A FREAKING HUGE DRAGON hunting some poor dwarfies, though! :twisted:
Rafael Wrote:Big Grin Nice!

Thanks! Just thinking about what the film will be like is really getting my creative juices going.

Quote:I picture the first minutes of the Hobbit as nothing but a soundless clip of A FREAKING HUGE DRAGON hunting some poor dwarfies, thogu! :twisted:

Heh! Showing how the dwarves were driven from the Lonely Mountain could be a good background type introduction as well. I doubt they will show Smaug that early on in the film, but they could have the scenes with just his shadow, fire and fleeing dwarves...?
:twisted:

Havard
Quote:It is a period of strife in Middle-earth. Dwarves of the Mountain, striking from a hidden Shire, have won their first victory against the evil Sauron's dragon. During the battle, Fellowship burglars managed to secretly steal from the undermountan Sauron's ultimate weapon, the ONE RING, a magical artifact with enough power to turn one invisible and to destroy an entire planet. Pursued by Sauron's sinister agents, Frodo races to Rivendell, custodian of the stolen Ring that can save his people and restore freedom to Middle-earth….
Wait ... that's not the opening crawl from The Hobbit but how they should have started The Fellowship of the Ring! Tongue
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
finarvyn Wrote:
Quote:It is a period of strife in Middle-earth. Dwarves of the Mountain, striking from a hidden Shire, have won their first victory against the evil Sauron's dragon. During the battle, Fellowship burglars managed to secretly steal from the undermountan Sauron's ultimate weapon, the ONE RING, a magical artifact with enough power to turn one invisible and to destroy an entire planet. Pursued by Sauron's sinister agents, Frodo races to Rivendell, custodian of the stolen Ring that can save his people and restore freedom to Middle-earth….
Wait ... that's not the opening crawl from The Hobbit but how they should have started The Fellowship of the Ring! Tongue

Sounds like a fun opening point for a game anyway Smile

-Havard