Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
[Blog] Dave Arneson's Tome of Chaos
Quote:The Tome of Chaos

This dark artifact from the original Blackmoor setting is drawn from an adventure that Dave Arneson ran at different conventions in the 1970s. The book's cover is made from human skin and is adorned by a skull. Opening the book without speaking the proper rituals will release all kinds of evil undead spirits to destroy anyone in sight. The quest was simple. Venture into the dungeon below Castle Blackmoor and recover the book. The forces of darkness could not be permitted to have such a book in their posession. Deep within the dungeon there is a library filled with ancient tomes and scrolls. The Tome of Chaos was found on a pedistal at the center of the room. But why was the temptation to open the book so strong?

This artifact is not mentioned in any published material from Dave Arneson, but recently two separate accounts of Dave Arneson using this adventure for conventions has been discovered. The earliest account is from a convention in San Jose, California in 1976 where Dave Arneson and various other TSR personalities as accounted by in this youtube video by Jim Murphy. From Jon Peterson we learn that the same adventure involving the book was also used by Dave Arneson at Origins Game Fair at Staten Island New York in 1977. Arneson had quit TSR and TSR were boycotting Origins.

Although the concept of an evil book is something that goes back in history, it is interesting that the Book of Vile Darkness appeared in D&D Supplement I: Greyhawk which came out in 1975, the the year before Dave used this adventure in San Jose. However, the effects of the Book of Vile Darkness are quite different from those of the Tome of Chaos so the two might be completely unrelated items. Or it is also possible that the book from Dave Arneson's campaign, which I have dubbed the Tome of Chaos was created much earlier by Arneson when he was developing the Blackmoor Dungeon. Over at the Comeback Inn, Blackmoor fans have been speculating to where in the dungeon this secret library might have been located. Right now, evidence points towards the library being found on Dungeon Level 5 even though this is not specified in either of the two published versions of the dungeon. If we learn more about the library's location or more details on the properties of the Tome of Chaos, I will make sure to share it!

Full version of this article here: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=8841

More on this topic here: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=8841

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Nice one! 8)
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Do we have any information on this book's specific contents and capabilities, other than what you've already revealed?

You might also want to add the YouTube link to Jim Murphy's video to your post. It's in the blog article but didn't make it into this forum post.
Greg Wrote:Do we have any information on this book's specific contents and capabilities, other than what you've already revealed?

You might also want to add the YouTube link to Jim Murphy's video to your post. It's in the blog article but didn't make it into this forum post.

I dont have any more information that what I have included in the blog post, but it is possible that I have overlooked something Smile

-Havard
Supplement 1 was published in the April-May June timeframe of 1975 my friend. Not 1976.
Aldarron Wrote:Supplement 1 was published in the April-May June timeframe of 1975 my friend. Not 1976.

Ah yes, you are correct of course! Smile Thanks for mentioning that. I will edit the post ASAP Smile

-Havard
Seriously considering integrating this into the Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor stream. Very cool!