Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Barsoom Afridhi Similarities?
This discussion started by Yaztromo at The Piazza brought up similarities between some Barsoom cultures and those found in D&D. One user, Kythkyn's comment made me think:

Kythkyn Wrote:Pretty much the description and society of Drow

The similarities between Drows and Afridhi always struck me as interesting, both being matriarchal societies. Could Barsoom be what inspired some parts of Afridhi culture? In DA4, Deborah Ritchie is credited for additional development to that culture.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Actually the title of this topic is a bit misleading: Barsoom is the world of John Carter of Mars and there are no Drows there. I believe the Drows (in the sense of Dark Elves) were introduced in an AD&D world, not in Barsoom...
In Barsoom there are Black Martians that are kind of pirates, but they are not Drows.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo Wrote:Actually the title of this topic is a bit misleading...
Maybe, but it got me to click and read the thread. Big Grin
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
I don't see any connection between Barsoom and Afridhi, however, I do see a strong connection between Barsoom and the Sand Folk. Camarilla's are pretty much Tharks too.
Aldarron Wrote:I don't see any connection between Barsoom and Afridhi, however, I do see a strong connection between Barsoom and the Sand Folk. Camarilla's are pretty much Tharks too.

Yeah, the Sandfolk are definitely based on the Barsoom stories.

I like how James Mishler speculated that the FSS Beagle had stopped by the equivalent of Mars and brought them to Blackmoor.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign