Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Tekumel: Complete product list available?
Hi all,

Just wondered: do we have a product list with all Tekumel publications available somewhere?

Short question, short thread, likely long answers.

Yours,

Rafe
This might be a good start:

http://www.tekumel.com/about_productlist.html

Jeff Berry might know more?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Thanks, pal! Just what I was looking for! Smile
It makes me happy :mrgreen: that someone else is into Tekumel! There used to be a very longtime campaign not to far from me, but I'v lost track of those folks. The one time I got to play with them, I was incredibly impressed.
Sadly, I had worked two doubles in a row and I was exhausted. To my everlasting shame I fell asleep at the gaming table.
I was not invited back... :oops:
I appreciate Tekumel, because I liked Midkemia as a child, and now see that the most exciting parts were really a crossover. Smile

I might even start collecting this, but, alas, I am about 40 years to late, I guess. Smile

...More on this later, actually.
Bugscuttle Wrote:It makes me happy :mrgreen: that someone else is into Tekumel! There used to be a very longtime campaign not to far from me, but I'v lost track of those folks. The one time I got to play with them, I was incredibly impressed.
Sadly, I had worked two doubles in a row and I was exhausted. To my everlasting shame I fell asleep at the gaming table.
I was not invited back... :oops:

Hey man, if you love Tekumel, check out Jeff Berry's thread in the Opal Room. That thread is a gold mine for stories about early Tekumel and Blackmoor Smile

-Havard
Hello!

Sorry to be off-line for so long! I'm finally back to a 'normal' schedule; my blood pressure has been in the 'human normal' range for none weeks, and I am doing much better.

Brett Slocum has a very complete list of all the various Tekumel publications on his web site and blog, as well as on the Yahoo group he moderates. I have a list as well, and I can post it somewhere here if people like.

Feel free to ask me questions! I now have my e-mail set up to alert me to posts here, so I should be able to get back to people sooner!

yours, Chirine / Jeff
chirine ba kal Wrote:Sorry to be off-line for so long! I'm finally back to a 'normal' schedule; my blood pressure has been in the 'human normal' range for none weeks, and I am doing much better.

As I said in your other thread. Welcome back! Smile

Quote:Brett Slocum has a very complete list of all the various Tekumel publications on his web site and blog, as well as on the Yahoo group he moderates. I have a list as well, and I can post it somewhere here if people like.

Please post it here! I think several of us would be very interested.

Quote:Feel free to ask me questions! I now have my e-mail set up to alert me to posts here, so I should be able to get back to people sooner!

I will try to think of some. Well here is one:

D&D is easy because you can start out just knowing that you should walk through dungeons, kill monsters and take their treasure. Compared to that, the complex cultures and societies of Tekumel with their own languages and dress codes etc can seem a bit intimidating to some.

What's your advice for a newcomer trying to get into Tekumel? Smile

-Havard
Havard Wrote:D&D is easy because you can start out just knowing that you should walk through dungeons, kill monsters and take their treasure. Compared to that, the complex cultures and societies of Tekumel with their own languages and dress codes etc can seem a bit intimidating to some.

What's your advice for a newcomer trying to get into Tekumel? Smile

-Havard

First off, don't worry about 'getting it right'. What I do for new players is tell them that we'll work out way into the thing slowly - and then get then started with something familiar like going down in the dungeon and killing some monsters. The very best source for this is the original 1975 "Empire of the Petal Throne", which I still think provides the best introduction to the world. Once one feels comfortable, work as much - or as little! - of the 'source material' into your games as you want to. I think that the simplest and best way to play Tekumel is with EPT - or the various rules adaptations like for GURPS - and have a copy of the Professor's "Sourcebook" to use as a reference.

Do not - and I mean DO NOT - obsess on the 'fine print' and cultural details. We've done a lot of material on Tekumel since Phil started writing back in the late 1940s, and you do need to figure out what you want to do in your games before you start reading everything. Think "John Carter of Mars" as a source, and you are off and running. Once you feel comfortable in the setting, then - and only then - should you introduce the more 'advanced' stuff.

Play the game - roll the dice! Have adventures! The rest will come, over time, and you won't feel intimidated.

(Shameless plug - I'm writing a book about my adventures on Tekumel while playing with the Professor, and I'm giving it away to people just to introduce them to the place. E-mail me... Smile )

yours, chirine