Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Using ZGG material in the FFC era.
Most of the ZGG Blackmoor material is set in NC1030, while the events recorded in the FFC take place ca 995-1000. Recently I have become more interested in using the FFC Era as a basis for campaigns. At the same time, I want to use ZGG material to fill out the details that are not explored in the FFC.

This thread from the Vales campaign explores some aspects of a campaign like this, although it is set miles away from the Blackmoor region.

Has anyone else thought of this? What elements from the ZGG material would have to be changed in order to set the campaign 30-35 years earlier? Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Absolutely. As you know, my campaign is set hundreds of years earlier and I use as much of the ZGG material as feasible. Magic items can usually be converted pretty easily, fluff is usually independent of the rules and monsters can be converted. If you are only going back 30 years you can use even more. The stuff I avoid is the overly complex numbers of organizations and seemingly redundant or late era monsters (tieflings, dragonborne, etc.), and character classes that make no sense in the system I use.
Aldarron Wrote:Absolutely. As you know, my campaign is set hundreds of years earlier and I use as much of the ZGG material as feasible. Magic items can usually be converted pretty easily, fluff is usually independent of the rules and monsters can be converted.

Good points.

Quote: If you are only going back 30 years you can use even more. The stuff I avoid is the overly complex numbers of organizations

Which organizations are you thinking about in particular?

Wizards Cabal: Unchanged, although controlled by Mi-Karr as mentioned in another thread. Other leaders also replaced by contemporaries.

Eldritch Underground: Unchanged, although probably much weaker before the Sorcerors Revolt

Quincke's Brigade: Not really sure. Its a very small group anyway.

Ordo Elementalis: These have no presence on Blackmoor at this time as they are trapped on other planes.

Greenwood Brothers: Do not exist before the Afridhi Occupation of

Thieves Guilds/The Coven: Thieves Guilds exist in most towns/cities, but do not yet work together as organized by Debelfry at a later stage.

Silent Guard: Does not yet exist

Scroll and Blade: Does not yet exist?

Topaz Eye: Does not exist before 1031

Gen'Ri: Elven Agents have been working in human lands for centuries. Unchanged.

Sightless Sisters: Blind Warriors. Founded during the Mage Wars

Skandaharian Cultural Society: May exist, but given the frequent Skandaharian raids, I would suspect anyone showing Skandaharian sympathies would be viewed with extreme suspicion if not as downright traitors.

More to be done later...

Quote:and seemingly redundant or late era monsters (tieflings, dragonborne, etc.), and character classes that make no sense in the system I use.

Agreed. I dont use them either, though Half-Demons of various sorts certainly exist.

-Havard
First three and the id and frog cults are the groups I'd focus on, maybe the egg to in your case.
Aldarron Wrote:First three and the id and frog cults are the groups I'd focus on, maybe the egg to in your case.

By first three you mean you would include Quincke's Brigade?

By the time of the FFC the Id Cult has pretty much faded into obscurity, although there are ruins and other things left. The Frog is most certainly around.

-Havard