Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Other Early Blackmoor Campaigns
Fred Funk's players registering here and talking aboutFred's own campaign worldmade me think about the other Blackmoor campaigns from the early days. I think I saw a quote somewhere saying that there were around 30 different groups running Blackmoor at one point. I assume this was before the setting got published, but simply games run by Arneson's players and their friends. Does anyone remember the quote talking about this?

I wonder what those other games were like...

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I always assumed that Dave meant that there were a bunch of guys who made up their own castles and dungeons and did things on Dave's map. While there would have been several referees, Dave would somehow coordinate all of the activities that each referee was running.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
finarvyn Wrote:I always assumed that Dave meant that there were a bunch of guys who made up their own castles and dungeons and did things on Dave's map. While there would have been several referees, Dave would somehow coordinate all of the activities that each referee was running.

If that is true, then I am definately interested in finding out more about it! It certainly would fit with the tales about Greg and Bob Meyer's adventures.

-Havard
The Quote you mentioned is from the intro to the FFC. Think he was talking about splinter groups - Like Greg or Ross Maker running sessions.
Aldarron Wrote:The Quote you mentioned is from the intro to the FFC.

Ah, yes of course!

Quote:Think he was talking about splinter groups - Like Greg or Ross Maker running sessions.

Probably. In the case of Greg running sessions with Bob Meyer and Kurt Krey, we know that Bob and Kurt used the same charaters they would when Arneson was refreeing the game. I will assume that XPs awarded by Greg would also be carried over to the next time when Arneson was back in the refree seat. Do we know if other splinter groups used the same characters, and whether events from those games would affect the overall campaign?

-Havard
I was actually helping the some of the guys get their characters up to high enough levels to where they could survive with the main group on some of the more serious adventures at Dave Arneson's.

My area was originally called Tonisberg. It was located approximately where Vestfold is on the modern maps. Dave placed Vestfold there after I moved away, probably when he was in Lake Geneva. Unfortunately, all of the material for Tonisberg was lost when I lived in Boston in the early 1980's.
[Image: Sven.png]
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign