Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[5E] Wizards, Sorcerers, Warlocks & Eldritch Knights
For those of you running Blackmoor in 5E, how do you handle the various Arcane casters?

Spell Focus crystals seems very easy to integrate into 5E.

WIZARDS
Wizards would probably primarily be members of the Wizards Cabal unless they have reasons to actively oppose it.

SORCERERS
As per the 3E setting, Sorcerers would be persecuted by the Wizards Cabal, but some would find aid from the Eldritch Underground.

WARLOCKS
Would these replace Wokans from the 3E/4E material? If so, perhaps found primarily among Peshwah, rural humans, Westryn Elves and monstrous humanoids?

Possible patrons:
Fey: Various entities from the Ephemeral Plane. I'm sure RobJN has more ideas here Smile
Fiend: Spawn of the Evil Gods like Thanatos, Volketh, Calelrin etc would be interested here.
Great Old One: Egg of Coot

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:For those of you running Blackmoor in 5E, how do you handle the various Arcane casters?

Spell Focus crystals seems very easy to integrate into 5E.
See also: Dragonstones

Havard Wrote:WARLOCKS

Possible patrons:
Fey: Various entities from the Ephemeral Plane. I'm sure RobJN has more ideas here Smile
Fiend: Spawn of the Evil Gods like Thanatos, Volketh, Calelrin etc would be interested here.
Great Old One: Egg of Coot
Any of the Winter or Summer Kings, Queens, or High Lords, I think, are of sufficient power to grant mortals gleamings of Their Own magic. Fey of slightly-lesser nobility might be able to grant such boons within their own domains, but probably would not stretch across the Veil.

Let's not forget Stodos (Cryonax), and Zug-zul for demonic patrons.
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
In the 4e sourcebook, its mentioned warlocks are persecuted as well, so I guess they would be on the same spot as sorcerers.
For the 5E I plan to run anyone who can cast arcane spells is subject to the Wizards' Cabal.

Because I didn't want to deal with the whole "what if the party has cabal and non-cabal members in it" I basically made the WC go through a PR problem. "Something" happened that they don't want to talk about in 1020 that forces them to reevaluate their "Re-education" policy. Now instead of being outlaws EVERYONE has to register.

So if you're a WIZARD, a SORCERER, a WARLOCK, a BARD, an ELDRITCH KNIGHT, or can cast anything arcane YOU HAVE TO REGISTER WITH THE INQUISITION. No one is going to persecute you. Another player can't throw you in jail. You basically have to follow the Magical Law like members of the Cabal.

It actually turned out to be a great plot point I want to expand on. I know exactly why I did it and why my version of the Cabal did it. It is just so much better than the persecution angle...