Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
D&D Movie Lawsuit
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... Trial-Date

This could mean there will be a neww D&D movie soon...

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Now if we could just get a decent script and FX budget.....
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
I'm not as picky about the script and/or special FX. I just want them to get the rules right.

What makes "the D&D movie" different from "a S&S movie" would be the elements of the rules that aren't found in regular pulp literature. If you watch the movie, you ought to be able to recognize certain spells and the way things are done in the movie ought to reflect the way the rulebooks say things are done. Otherwise, why tack the name "Dungeons & Dragons" onto the thing?
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
Oh no! Owlbears everywhere!!!... :mrgreen:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
finarvyn Wrote:I'm not as picky about the script and/or special FX. I just want them to get the rules right.

What makes "the D&D movie" different from "a S&S movie" would be the elements of the rules that aren't found in regular pulp literature. If you watch the movie, you ought to be able to recognize certain spells and the way things are done in the movie ought to reflect the way the rulebooks say things are done. Otherwise, why tack the name "Dungeons & Dragons" onto the thing?

Interesting. I feel pretty much the opposite about it. What I want is a movie with an engaging story and characters that I like. OTOH, if there were no D&D elements in it I agree that this would be misleading too, but I think it would be great to see a movie that could actually attract new fans to the hobby.

Another thing I would like to see is more attention to setting. Even if they choose not to use a published setting, I think they should have given out more information about the world they set their movies in. Give us maps, history, background etc. I think that alot of non-gamers are also attracted to this sort of stuff when watching other fantasy movies. I am also disappointed that each of the three movies they have made so far made such little attempt at creating a single consistent world. The two first movies were supposedly connected, but even in these they had the second one be set 100 years into the future and had everything changed. The third movie is apparently set in the Nerath (4E) setting, but again it is placed in such a remote location that PCs hanging out in one of the standard gaming areas like the Nentir Vale will never reach Karakh, which is where the movie is set.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign