Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Celebration of Powers & Perils
In case some of you havent yet seen this blog detailing the beginning of a Powers & Perils campaign:

http://mesmerizedbysirens.blogspot.it/2 ... of-ad.html

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I've never played Powers & Perils.

1. Briefly, what makes it different from D&D?

2. How many editions are there? What is the difference in editions? Which one is the best?
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
Sorry it took so long for me to answer this. I needed to find my copy of the game and read up a little on it.

finarvyn Wrote:I've never played Powers & Perils.

1. Briefly, what makes it different from D&D?

IMHO the game is very poorly organized and really difficult to learn, using lots of abbreviations and requiring alot of flipping back and forth in the books.

The system is skill based rather than level based. It reminds me a little of RuneQuest and uses a d% for skill rolls. Instead of just rolling under your skill though, there are difficulty levels that you compare with your Expertise Level and then roll on a table which can have multiple results (not just success and failure).

Quote:2. How many editions are there? What is the difference in editions? Which one is the best?

AFAIk there is only one edition, published in 1983. There are some revised rules that are found on http://abroere.xs4all.nl/pnp/index.htm

-Havard
Hmmm. The Richard Snyder connection is interesting but I like level-based games a lot more than skill-based. I may check it out, but I don't anticipate doing any more than just reading rules for academic purposes.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
I'm mainly interesting in the very rich Perilous Lands setting as well as quite a few unique monsters to raid...

-Havard