Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
The Fairwind Circus
One of the Lost MMRPG files that I recently uploaded to my website revealed an organization known as the Fairwind Circus:

Quote:Rising up over the Vestfold skyline is an enormous tent in colorful patches. Inside, the Fairwind Circus spreads itself out in a
large half circle of performance space. Clowns wander the tiered benches entertaining the audience and watching for thieves. Cutpurses are hauled up on stage
where they are made part of the act while the stolen goods are returned to their owner under the guise of a magic act.

Has anyone ever made use of a Circus in their games before? I remember one incident where our party recruited the Circus Strongman to help us out with some quest where we needed a bit of extra muscle. The Fairwind Circus also explains why the Jester PrC was included in the Blackmoor PG.

Any thoughts on how a Circus can be a useful adventure element?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Ties that Bind features a gypsy-like group of people you encounter on your way to Jackport.

They could be related to the jugglers from the circus.
Rafael Wrote:Ties that Bind features a gypsy-like group of people you encounter on your way to Jackport.

They could be related to the jugglers from the circus.

Interesting!

I wonder if there might also be some connection between these two groups and the Peshwah of the Briela tribe:

Quote:Briela (Not on map)
The Briela are a kind of Gypsies, travelling all over the world. They are known as storytellers and diplomats. For centuries they have devoted their lives questing for the Bow of Hadeen.

Source: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... ribes.html

On a related note, I was just watching season 4 of Heroes, which featured a circus hiding people with special powers. Carnivale is another excellent TV show with some similar themes. I wonder if the Fairwind Circus could be hiding various Sorcerers running from the Wizards Cabal?

-Havard
Ahm, I'm more in line with the Monkey Island treatment of circusses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNeJ9qQMX_E

I disliked Carnivale - once you watch it, how are you coming on with own ideas? :? So good it's a genre-killer. Smile
Found an old comment by Solomoriah on DF: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 55#p103855

Solomoriah Wrote:Have you ever seen First Fantasy Campaign, the quintessential Blackmoor document? Later in the original campaign, Castle Blackmoor had a circus in the courtyard. It's really quite reasonable, as much as anything in Blackmoor is.

Castle Blackmoor had a circus in the courtyard? I wonder if that is where the original idea for the Fairwind Circus came from? Smile

-Havard
Nice find. Is this a travelling circus or one that stays in the same area for large amounts of time?

And if it does travel, do you have any idea of where it goes or if it has a fixed schedule (perhaps to arrive in specific towns for certain holidays or local festivals)?

Havard Wrote:The Fairwind Circus also explains why the Jester PrC was included in the Blackmoor PG.

I'm not sure about that. :? Jesters were really entertainers of nobility, in the real world. The Jester PrC seems to be a bit more versatile than a Court Jester, but it doesn't look like a clown that might perform in a troop.

Havard Wrote:Any thoughts on how a Circus can be a useful adventure element?

I guess it depends if they are stationary or mobile.

Assuming they are a travelling circus, the Fairwind Circus would be a great way to provide PCs with the ability to find out news about other villages, towns and cities. If you have an adventure to run, and the PCs are in the "wrong place" they could help point the PCs in the right direction.

If The Fairwind Circus is about to move, they might also appreciate travelling with the PCs, as there is safety in numbers.
Havard Wrote:The Fairwind Circus also explains why the Jester PrC was included in the Blackmoor PG.

If memory serves (it WAS a while ago), I think the Jester PrC came first and we decided to add it to Fairwind Circus when it was written up.
*Sheridan
Check out my latest projects: The Fey Codex (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/237056) and Heart and Soul (levels 5-10, https://www.dmsguild.com/product/252178).
[Image: Tolleen.png]
sheridan Wrote:

If memory serves (it WAS a while ago), I think the Jester PrC came first and we decided to add it to Fairwind Circus when it was written up.

Ah, that makes sense. Still, it seems nice that there is already a tradition for circuses in Blackmoor since the original campaign Smile

IMC Halfling Court Jesters are popular among the Thonian Nobility.

-Havard
In the MMRPG you find gypsies various times and you can camp with them and exchange stories etc. AND in the FFC you can find a section called "Gypsy Sayings"...

However, I have been thinking recently about weaving in Dreams of Aerie by Bruce Heard into Blackmoor narrative... it would be a flying circus, but...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.