Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Jesters of Blackmoor
I was a little surprised when I found the Jester as a PrC in the BMPG. Are Jesters so important that they deserve a class in the setting? Their inclusion certainly seems to suggest that.

Then I started thinking about what we could do about this. The Fairwind Circus is of course one thing to connect to the class. This is possibly what the designers had in mind.

My idea is that Jesters are very popular with the Halfling Race. The Thonian Empire is characterized by its racist attitude towards demi-humans. One place where Halflings and other short folk have found refuge is as entertainers for the nobility. On the one hand this serves Thonian opinion of these races as objects of laughter, but on the other it gives these races access to places in society where they would not otherwise be welcome.

Having a Halfling Court Jester, is practically a must among Thonian Nobility these days. If you dont have one, you will be looking for ways to obtain one to entertain your guests. Interestingly, this has given the Jesters unique insight in the dealings of Thonian Politics. There is talk of a secret society among Jesters where they exchange information about the nobles they serve. They are just as often used as spies as they are as entertainers. Obviously, this is an extremely dangerous game, but also something that can be very profitting for the Jester.

Thoughts? How would you use Jesters in your campaign?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Interestingly, Jesters have just been brought back to 4E. (The download requires DDI subscription, which I don't have, but you can read the introduction without it).

-Havard
Latest blog article summarizes some thoughts on the background of the Jester Class: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... kmoor.html

-Havard