Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Xavier the Gray Mage
[Image: 8520603927_e58f48742f_c.jpg]

While researching my map of The City of Maus, I came across this character. The Gray Mage was introduced in the Short Story A Night in Maus (appearing in The Wizards Cabal). He was one of the participants in the early stages of the Mage Wars. His tower was located not too far from Maus. As it was destroyed in front of the Gray Mages's own eyes, it is now only known as the Shattered Tower.

TWC has more details on the Tower itself, but I am more interested in this mage. Was he one of the major players in the Mage Wars, or was he one of those who were eliminated early on? The latter seems most likely. Did he effectively control Maus at the time? Or was he possibly a human manifestation of the Dragon God named Watchworks?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I'm very curious about him as well: he looks like a very interesting character and the Shattered Tower may always become the subject of an adventure...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo Wrote:I'm very curious about him as well: he looks like a very interesting character and the Shattered Tower may always become the subject of an adventure...

Given the location of his tower, could Xavier have been a human form of Watchworks the Dragon?

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Given the location of his tower, could Xavier have been a human form of Watchworks the Dragon?

-Havard

No. Tongue
Aldarron Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Given the location of his tower, could Xavier have been a human form of Watchworks the Dragon?

-Havard

No. Tongue

Why not, exactly? Smile

We know nothing about this mage. The other option is just that he was destroyed by Raddam (or Vadaley) as these were the only two factions still around untill Skelfer returned and destroyed both.

-Havard
Well, the story in TWC has Xavier as a student or ally of Ard, who turns his back on Ard (turns traitor as the character puts it) after he learns the basics of spell focus magic. There is no hint that Xavier is anything other than an normal mage, and it seems unlikely that Ard would have been fooled by or taught anything to a disguised polymorphed dragon. It just seems very out of character with the tale in TWC to me.

I do think it makes the most sense that Xavier is defeated by Raddan - their territories are side by side.