Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Dwarves of Blackmoor
First posted at: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... kmoor.html

The Dwarves of Blackmoor are a dying race. 500 years ago things were different. Under the leadership of dwarven hero Uberstar Kazakhum, the dwarves began exploring the north in search of minerals. Was it simple green that drove them? Was it simple market economics; The Thonian Empire was in need of minerals and the dwarves sought new sources to fill that market? Or did the dwarves, like other groups after them, actively seen to leave the lands of Thonia. Regardless, it is clear that the dwarves have little love for the Empire. Oberstar has been a staunch supporter of Uther since his break with the Emperor and the current dwarven leader, Lortz Kharnundrhum, has followed the policy of his predecessor managing to overcome his people’s suspicions towards Uther’s alliance with the Elves of The Redwood.

The dwarven colonization of the North at first seemed promising. The dwarven settlement of North Delving expanded from the original settlement in the Crystal Peak Mountains to include the Black Hills, the Iron Hills, the Dragon Hills and the Stormkiller Mountains. The magically fused minerals of Blackmoor were of particular interest to the Wizards of the region, something which lead to great wealth for the dwarves. Their main competitor in providing minerals is the Duchy of the Peaks, but the unstable nature of that Duchy meant that they didn’t make for much of a financial threat to the position of the dwarves.

However, life in the North has not been kind to the dwarves. After over 500 years, the great dwarven settlement has been reduced to fewer than 10.000 individuals. 6 consecutive wars with the Orcs have taken a dramatic toll on the dwarves. Desperation could be another reason for them deciding to ally with Blackmoor. The Empire never really cared about the North, until they realized they could not have it anymore. The realization of the fact that the dwarves are losing to the Orcs have also lead the dwarves to exploring other means of fighting. Ventures into new technology in order to create war machines are not just a curious past-time to the dwarves. It is a question of the survival of their entire race.

The strange inventions which have appeared over the recent decades in Northern Delving have lead to speculation of some unknown source of technological lore hidden deep in the dwarven lands (As discussed in this blog article). The infusion of Gnomes into the dwarven population about 200 years ago also lead to great progress in the field of technology. The dwarves had the resources and much of the base technology in place, but the Gnomes could provide precision, given their long tradition as clockmakers. Finally, Uthers establishing of the University of Blackmoor could lend the dwarves the expertise they would need In order to take their knowledge to a whole new level. However, the latest war with the Orcs is going in the wrong direction and prevents further cooperation with the humans until it is resolved. Heroes are needed!

See also my Dwarven Timeline: http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=528

Thoughts?

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Dwarven Clans of Blackmoor
Sources: DAB CS, DABPG

Benodond
Dragun
Frengi
Gorduhendo
Gragerz
Grubumd
Kazux
Kharnundrhum
Khazakhum
Khundan
Nokvorm
Ubuzaken
Verlapen
Wumnozu

So far I have been able to find 14 clans. One interesting question is why Lortz' last name is Kharnundrhum, when his father's last name is Khazakhum? Theory 1: One of these names is in fact a nickname rather than a family name. Theory 2: Because he was the son of the King, Lortz was raised by another clan and retains their name as a sign of respect for his foster family. Theory 3: Khazakhum is the name given to the regent only. As Lortz is only acting regent, he has been reluctant to assume the name until the fate of Oberstar is known.

More detail on each clan to follow! Smile

Let me know if I have missed any!

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Dwarven Clans of Blackmoor

Benodond
Dragun
Frengi
Gorduhendo
Gragerz
Grubumd
Kazux
Kharnundrhum
Khazakhum
Khundan
Nokvorm
Ubuzaken
Verlapen
Wumnozu

So far I have been able to find 14 clans. One interesting question is why Lortz' last name is Kharnundrhum, when his father's last name is Khazakhum? Theory 1: One of these names is in fact a nickname rather than a family name. Theory 2: Because he was the son of the King, Lortz was raised by another clan and retains their name as a sign of respect for his foster family. Theory 3: Khazakhum is the name given to the regent only. As Lortz is only acting regent, he has been reluctant to assume the name until the fate of Oberstar is known.

More detail on each clan to follow! Smile

Let me know if I have missed any!

-Havard

Nice work Havard. Here's a theory 4. Dwarven clan membership is derived from the mother, thus fathers and sons may be of different clans but mothers and sons are always the same clan.

That's how it works with the Iroquois. It could also be the case that a person must always marry outside thier clan as it is in some cultures.
Aldarron Wrote:Nice work Havard. Here's a theory 4. Dwarven clan membership is derived from the mother, thus fathers and sons may be of different clans but mothers and sons are always the same clan.

That's how it works with the Iroquois. It could also be the case that a person must always marry outside thier clan as it is in some cultures.

I like this!

-Havard
Dwarven Clans of Blackmoor

Benodond
Stronghold: Black Hills
Patron: Dhumnon
Notable members: Belfry Benondond (Dave Belfry)
Traits: Dirty and proud of it, coal miners
Sources: DAB CS

Dragun
Stronghold: Dragon Hills
Patron: Hemgrid
Notable members: Holman (Harry Holman)
Traits: Many spiked warriors (Berserkers)
Sources: DAB CS, Greg Svenson

Frengi
Stronghold: Stormkiller Mountains
Patron: Shau
Notable members: Giovanna Frengi
Traits: Hardened Warriors; Everyone learns to fight

Gorduhendo
Stronghold: Iron Hills
Notable members: Maker (Ross Maker)
Traits: Inventors of the Dwarven Steam Roller

Gragerz
Patron: Shau
Notable members: Axe Maiden Provaler Gragerz
Traits: Strong female warrior tradition
Sources: DAB PG 156

Grubumd
Patron: Koorzun
Notable members: Noogare the Immovable, Tarro the Tough
Traits: Monastic Tradition; Many Monks from this Clan, often members of the “Clan of Stone”
Sources: DAB PG p 212

Kazux
Notable members: Povetz Kazux
Traits:
Sources: DAB PG p 153

Kharnundrhum
Stronghold: Crystal Peaks
Notable members: Lortz Kharnundrhum, Oberstar Khazakhum
Traits: Ruling Clan
Sources: DAB CS

Khundan
Notable members: Borgrim Stonehammer (C&S)
Traits: Many Dwarven Songmasters (Dwarves) come from this clan.
Sources: DAB PG p 207

Nokvorm
Stronghold: Crystal Peaks
Patron: Pathmeer
Notable members: Foulez Shadowhand
Traits: Inventors of the Dwarven Steamsaw, friends to Gnomes.
Sources: DAB PG p 155

Ubuzaken
Notable members: Brager Ubuzaken
Traits:
Sources: DABPG p 152

Verlapen
Patron: Koorzun
Notable members: Sorhaz Verlapen
Traits:
Sources: DAB PG p 154

Wumnozu
Patron: Pathmeer
Notable members: Broger Ironfist (Command General at Mount Uberstar)
Traits: Militant
Sources: DAB PG p 211

The above was written before Aldarron made the suggestion about the clans following the mother side. If we take that into account, Khazakhum needs to be made into a separate clan. Not all the clans do yet have traits attributed to them yet. Maybe you guys can help me with those?

Assigning strongholds to each clan and placing in the original players has to a large degree been done aribtrarily, but I wanted to give each clan something beyond just the name.

-Havard
Gorduhendo... Notable members: Maker (Ross Maker)

Was that Ross character name? wondering where the association comes from.

Clans - ethnographically, clan members are usually not much different culturaly or physicaly but they may emphasize a particular patron deity, protection totem, and special holidays. Thier architecture and dress may reflect these things. Clans also often specialize in particular occupational/craft skills. For example, a particular clan may be master gem cutters and have secret skills along those lines. Another clan might be hunters etc.
Aldarron Wrote:Gorduhendo... Notable members: Maker (Ross Maker)

Was that Ross character name? wondering where the association comes from.

I dont know Ross' character name, but for the most part I will assume that they used their own names back then. Placing Ross Maker with the Gorduhendo is also purely arbitrary. There is nothing on the Gorduhendo beyond the name, so I figure that if we learn more about Ross' adventures we can use that to flesh out this clan as well.

Quote:Clans - ethnographically, clan members are usually not much different culturaly or physicaly but they may emphasize a particular patron deity, protection totem, and special holidays. Thier architecture and dress may reflect these things. Clans also often specialize in particular occupational/craft skills. For example, a particular clan may be master gem cutters and have secret skills along those lines. Another clan might be hunters etc.

Great ideas! I agree that skills, clothes and traditions would be where the differences between the clans becomes apparent to outsiders.

-Havard