Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Garbage Pits of Despair
Is this something worth hunting down the two Different Worlds issues which feature this adventure (42/43)? Are there any revelations which may shed light on the original BM campaign? Was it released anywhere else besides DW mag? Does anyone have this, and, if so, can you fill me in on what I may be missing? Thanks in advance.
I have them. I enjoyed playing out the adventure for the first time, with Dave Arneson as the DM, about 10 years ago (just before I bought the two magazines on eBay). My character in the Rahotep PbP game at the Wayfarer's Inn forum is based upon my character from that adventure. As I recall, it was published around the same time as the DA modules from TSR, so it might more closely fit that era, rather than FFC, if that is what you are asking.
[Image: Sven.png]
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign
gsvenson Wrote:I have them. I enjoyed playing out the adventure for the first time, with Dave Arneson as the DM, about 10 years ago (just before I bought the two magazines on eBay). My character in the Rahotep PbP game at the Wayfarer's Inn forum is based upon my character from that adventure. As I recall, it was published around the same time as the DA modules from TSR, so it might more closely fit that era, rather than FFC, if that is what you are asking.

You are correct Greg, Garbage Pits was published around the time of the DA series and it does seem like it is adapted to the events in the DA version. Its still generic enough to fit into different eras though. I do recommend the Garbage Pits adventure, it does give some setting information about groups and regions that are not detailed elsewhere. Aldarron has posted some of these things in this forum IIC.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
It's a fine, very entertaining adventure, certainly one of the better buys to do if you go oldschool.
Not very original, but fun for the players, and fun for the DM.

However, the mags are fairly costly.

You can simply get more stuff for the 60-80 $ the two will cost you together.

Like, that this is the prize of a mint-condition box set at Noble Knight Games, mind you.
Yeah they are very interesting. IIRC Tadashi sells these issues on his DW site. In any case they shouldn't be that expensive. I bought mine just a couple years ago and don't recall paying more than around $20 total.

I don't see them as being particularly adapted to the DA series though. There's no mention of Uther etc. Instead they are pretty reflective of FFC Blackmoor, updated by a few years. There's a number of quirky Arnesonian things including an AiF dragon that is converted to D&D stats and some slighly unusual magic weapons. The sword though is straight out of the D&D magic swords generation table.

Its also interesting because it's mostly a wilderness adventure.

Posted a small bit on Fins board here http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=4351
I guess nobody did answer kesher's request for a synopsis after all. :?
If it's short, and I wouldn't be interested in the rest of the magazine's content, it would be a waste to shell out cash for irrelevant material.
DungeonDevil Wrote:I guess nobody did answer kesher's request for a synopsis after all. :?
If it's short, and I wouldn't be interested in the rest of the magazine's content, it would be a waste to shell out cash for irrelevant material.
to lazy Wink Basically slavers operating as agents for the temple of the frog have kidnapped some persons and the adventurers are after them. The slavers use the trash disposal area of a powerful dragon as cover for thier transactions.

As to other content, DW was a pretty good magazine. The exact contents is listed, along with the mags for $12, from Tadashi's site http://www.diffworlds.com/dw_37-47.htm
Ohoo! Thanks Aldy! I will look to get them there, then. ...And some of the nifty Thieves Guild stuff... :twisted:
Thanks for the summary, aldarron! Smile
Unless there are some earth-shaking, eye-opening revelations contained therein, I think, for the time being at least, I'll wait on hunting them down.
The Garbage Pits is one of the few items that describe locations in the Dragon Hills. The Dragon featured in the module, Sophie, is also interesting in that she is tied to the Wizard of the Woods.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign