Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Provinces of the Great Kingdom
Something is coming on the horizon, and you know it...

So, what are the eleven provinces of Thonia?

We had talked about this in the past.
I am now primarily looking to construct a model map for the LFC.

So far, we have:

0. Marban - I rule that Marban, much like Washington DC, is a province on its own; this is not founded anywhere canonically.

1. Blackmoor

2. Bleakwood - uncanonical, the setting of the "Adventures in Fantasy" Box

3. Markovia (or, Borno) - the Iron Dukes province; canonical, AFAIK

4. Bolgerie - ??? From one of Havard's maps

5, Synobia - ??? From one of Havard's maps

6. Ravilla - uncanonical, from the "Empire of the Owls" game

7. ???

8. ???

9. ???

10. ???

11. ???

Let's fill up the map! Now! Smile

Yours,

Rafe
As per the PL campaign, "Geneva" would feel logical as a province...
Greyhawk?

In the FFC, there is a (Large) Capital City "along the coast" and a second Small Capital somewhere inland, apparently since it was reached by caravan.

If you are willing to draw the unique items from Quag Keep (which I think is fair since it comes from a time when Dave and Gary's world was one, there is also the 5 cities of the Great Kingdom (two of which I'd guess could be ther aforementioned capitals) and the:

Island Duchy of Maritiz
I think Greyhawk could definitely be a possibility - probably as "Dunfalcon", the realm where Troll Lord Games' Catsle Zagyg was located.

As to Quag Keep/Island Duchy of Maritiz, I am not entirely sure, but given that my map is based on Greyhawk's Great Kingdom,
and that one has the Sea Barons on its shore, why not?

For reference, here the maps of Greyhawk's Great Kingdom (caution, big):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kuTawUlRPfY/S ... te_Map.gif

I am tempted to include Ahlissa, for no other reason than I like the name.

Another very hot candidate would be Rauxes, given that it is mentioned in the first D&D fiction published in Dragon,
hence existed before Greyhawk (the setting).

Also, I have a few good maps for Rauxes... Smile
Rafael Wrote:Something is coming on the horizon, and you know it...

So, what are the eleven provinces of Thonia?

Thonia is made up of 10 provinces in addition to The Northern Marches. Each is the size of the Blackmoor map. Keep in mind that a province is not the same as a Duchy. Each province could include several duchies.

Quote:We had talked about this in the past.
I am now primarily looking to construct a model map for the LFC.

*Sigh* You asked me not to post too much about Thonia in the past. If not I would have had this fully developed for you already.

Quote:So far, we have:

0. Marban - I rule that Marban, much like Washington DC, is a province on its own; this is not founded anywhere canonically.

This is pretty much my idea as well.

Quote:1. Blackmoor

Technically it should be called the Northern Marches, probably.

Quote:2. Bleakwood - uncanonical, the setting of the "Adventures in Fantasy" Box

I agree that this makes sense. It is also mentioned in the FFC as you know. I would keep it in the north, though the FFC reference of it being close to Bramwald does not work too well IMO.

Quote:3. Markovia (or, Borno) - the Iron Dukes province; canonical, AFAIK

Yep. The Province name is probably Borno, or the Thonian Rand. Ruled by Dukes of Markovic.

Quote:4. Bolgerie - ??? From one of Havard's maps

Extrapolated from a reference in the DA1. A race of dark skinned humans are called Bolgers. I thought they might have a province in the south, near the Jungle Realm.

Quote:5, Synobia - ??? From one of Havard's maps

DA module reference. IIRC DA1 mentions a Synobian Monk. The idea is a religious province.

Quote:6. Ravilla - uncanonical, from the "Empire of the Owls" game

Fair enough Smile

Which other options exist:

7. Richard Snider's Duchies. Originally I thought the 8 Duchies from Richard Sniders campaign mentioned in the FFC could be 8 provinces, but perhaps it would be better to have them be one province made up of 8 small duchies? I might call this one Partusia, after the biggest duchy.

8. Cirkhosia: I made it into a country in the north, but it could just as easily be a Province. Another DA1 reference. Known for their merchants.

9. Salik: As in the Gin of. I think Aldarron was the first to suggest this could be a realm. Either a province or an independent realm. Mentioned in the FFC.

10. Geneva: Totally agree that this should be a region.

As to Greyhawk, I think something like that should exist, but it would be a city, not a province. I might take the Paizo route and just refer to it as the Free City, although Dunfalcon, Gaxmoor, Eagledark etc could work as well.

In general I think I would prefer not to include too many of Gary Gygax' names simply because I dont like them too much. I will agree that Ahlissa is probably one of his best.

By the way, keep name suggestions and other ideas coming. Names not used for actual Provinces can be used for Duchies, regions, or independent realms.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Had to check the whole Marban/Borno/Thonian Rand/Markovic connection for myself:

Thonian Rand: Region of Thonia bordering on the North
Markovic: Duke Taha Markovic is the Thonian in charge of the Thonian Rand
Marban: Marban is a small town where Duke Markovic is based
Borno: Taha Markovic is also known as the "Duke of Borno". Probably Borno is the biggest Duchy on the Thonian Rand.

-Havard
Havard Wrote:*Sigh* You asked me not to post too much about Thonia in the past. If not I would have had this fully developed for you already.

*SIGH*

Goddamn viking, you're like the kid in my youth group that, when I ran the DL modules for them, read all the novels in advance
and then wanted to tell everybody that Raistlin was a meanie.

In the end, I hung him upside down on a drying pole. Much to his delight, actually.

TAKE THIS HINT.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Quote:I agree that this makes sense. It is also mentioned in the FFC as you know. I would keep it in the north, though the FFC reference of it being close to Bramwald does not work too well IMO.

Yeah, no issue there, the only thing is, if we treat it as a province, we can use the expanded map.

Quote:Yep. The Province name is probably Borno, or the Thonian Rand. Ruled by Dukes of Markovic.

Quote:7. Richard Snider's Duchies. Originally I thought the 8 Duchies from Richard Sniders campaign mentioned in the FFC could be 8 provinces, but perhaps it would be better to have them be one province made up of 8 small duchies? I might call this one Partusia, after the biggest duchy.

I iz okee.

Quote:9. Salik: As in the Gin of. I think Aldarron was the first to suggest this could be a realm. Either a province or an independent realm. Mentioned in the FFC.

Might be my own notes confusing me, but I think that is a city near Marban IMC. Smile

Quote:As to Greyhawk, I think something like that should exist, but it would be a city, not a province. I might take the Paizo route and just refer to it as the Free City, although Dunfalcon, Gaxmoor, Eagledark etc could work as well.

Gaxmoor is something completely different, but apart from that, cool enough.

The reason I prefer Dunfalcon is because it again, comes with maps and all, and thus we can use the Castle Zagyg setting almost as it is.
Rafael Wrote:
Havard Wrote:TAKE THIS HINT.

I will explain to you how my creativity works at some other place and time. Smile

Bleakwood
Quote:
Quote:I agree that this makes sense. It is also mentioned in the FFC as you know. I would keep it in the north, though the FFC reference of it being close to Bramwald does not work too well IMO.

Yeah, no issue there, the only thing is, if we treat it as a province, we can use the expanded map.

Basically we are in agreement here. I definately think the map should be used. The question would be whether it should be the whole province or just parts of one.

Quote:
Quote:Yep. The Province name is probably Borno, or the Thonian Rand. Ruled by Dukes of Markovic.

Quote:7. Richard Snider's Duchies. Originally I thought the 8 Duchies from Richard Sniders campaign mentioned in the FFC could be 8 provinces, but perhaps it would be better to have them be one province made up of 8 small duchies? I might call this one Partusia, after the biggest duchy.

I iz okee.

Good.

Quote:
Quote:9. Salik: As in the Gin of. I think Aldarron was the first to suggest this could be a realm. Either a province or an independent realm. Mentioned in the FFC.

Might be my own notes confusing me, but I think that is a city near Marban IMC. Smile

That does not fit well with the descriptions from the FFC or DA1. There is no official information of any place called Salik. Descriptions of the Gin of Salik in the FFC suggests that he is from a distant land (ie farther than Marban). The DA modules suggest that there is a shortage of magic users on the Thonian Rand. The Iron Duke only has a few named individuals at his disposal.

Quote:
Quote:As to Greyhawk, I think something like that should exist, but it would be a city, not a province. I might take the Paizo route and just refer to it as the Free City, although Dunfalcon, Gaxmoor, Eagledark etc could work as well.

Gaxmoor is something completely different, but apart from that, cool enough.

The reason I prefer Dunfalcon is because it again, comes with maps and all, and thus we can use the Castle Zagyg setting almost as it is.
[/quote]

I only mentioned Gaxmoor since I just got the book in the mail. I have no knowledge of any of these variants. However, if we are talking about a Greyhawk-like city, I suggest that it should be just that, a city and not a province. Smile

-Havard
"Havard Wrote:I will explain to you how my creativity works at some other place and time. Smile

It ain't just "hitting little spaniards on the head when they are defenseless after you poison them with salmiakki", dreadful viking?!

Quote:That does not fit well with the descriptions from the FFC or DA1. There is no official information of any place called Salik. Descriptions of the Gin of Salik in the FFC suggests that he is from a distant land (ie farther than Marban). The DA modules suggest that there is a shortage of magic users on the Thonian Rand. The Iron Duke only has a few named individuals at his disposal.

Sure, works well for me as well.
BTW, a salik is a muslim scholar or something; so that might be room to expand.
Probably, he is even another relic from Tekumel?

Quote:I only mentioned Gaxmoor since I just got the book in the mail. I have no knowledge of any of these variants. However, if we are talking about a Greyhawk-like city, I suggest that it should be just that, a city and not a province. Smile

-Havard

By the way, how could I forget it?! Gaxmoor is what "The War of the Thieves" was based upon!

We never got far, but the gist is that the demon lord in the city is, ahem, somewhat related to Ran.

Which is why the Company of the Maiden would have done good in visiting Mondburgh later on,
to hear what the leaders of the Coven have to say...

I should probably say, the idea behind using so many pre-mapped/ready-to-go settings is simply that I want to use the provinces as the dominions in WotJ. - Premade stuff, or basing stuff on premade stuff, makes things much easier... Smile
Sounding good to me, except Cirkhosia. On my map I have Cirkhosia as a coastal desert kingdom fae SE of the Great Kingdom. Salik is the capital city of Cirkhosia. These two work well together as the hint of the "Cirkhosia" (ala the middle - eastern circassian) traveling merchants (Phonecian?) and the "Gin" (djinn) of Salik hint of middle eastern/desert connections. I don't think they make sense as GK provinces, so much.