Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Krull (1983) a Blackmoor Movie?
This 1983 film features invaders from outer space, armed with laser weapons attacking a fantasy world. Alright so the movie isnt that great. The plot is fairly standard and the main characters are rather boring. Still, I was quite fascinated by the setting.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I never really know what the phrase "a Blackmoor book" or "a Blackmoor movie" is supposed to mean.

Gord the Rogue is "a Greyhawk book" (actually, several of them) because the author is the Greyhawk creator and the setting of the books is clearly in the Greyhawk campaign.

There aren't any similar things to go with Blackmoor. Sad

Do aliens and lasers make "a Blackmoor movie"? Is it just a mix of high tech and fantasy? Would anything steampunk qualify, or does it have to have a root in fantasy with an overlay of tech? Or maybe it has to be something that inspired Blackmoor, implying that it had to come first. I'm not trying to be a pain. I've never quite figured this out for myself.

When I think of Blackmoor I think of fantasy first, and little pockets of tech wierdness as an afterthought. I suppose that using that guideline Krull has a similar pattern to it so maybe it qualifies, but it's not a connection I might have made on my own. :oops:
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
What Fyn has said.

Yeah, Krull is kind of Swords & Planets. But there, the similarities stop.
finarvyn Wrote:I never really know what the phrase "a Blackmoor book" or "a Blackmoor movie" is supposed to mean.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I really thought about any particular definition of the term when I posted this.

I guess it could mean:

a) A movie set in Blackmoor (officially, or unofficially
b) A movie capturing the essence of Blackmoor
c) A movie inspired by Blackmoor.
d) A movie carrying some resemblance to Blackmoor.

If any of the above would fit, I guess definition d) comes the closest, although as you guys are saying it might not be that easy.

Quote:Gord the Rogue is "a Greyhawk book" (actually, several of them) because the author is the Greyhawk creator and the setting of the books is clearly in the Greyhawk campaign.

There aren't any similar things to go with Blackmoor. Sad

Not by the creator, but there is the fiction by Harley Stroh and the stories told by Greg and the other players... Smile

Quote:Do aliens and lasers make "a Blackmoor movie"? Is it just a mix of high tech and fantasy? Would anything steampunk qualify, or does it have to have a root in fantasy with an overlay of tech? Or maybe it has to be something that inspired Blackmoor, implying that it had to come first. I'm not trying to be a pain. I've never quite figured this out for myself.

It is hard to define what the essence of Blackmoor would be. I'm always interested in hearing other people's opinions about that.

Quote:When I think of Blackmoor I think of fantasy first, and little pockets of tech wierdness as an afterthought. I suppose that using that guideline Krull has a similar pattern to it so maybe it qualifies, but it's not a connection I might have made on my own. :oops:

I guess this was sort of what I had in mind. For some reason that I cant quite explain, I quite enjoyed Krull. Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign