Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Eight DA Modules and a Blackmoor Novel planned by TSR!
If you're looking for the novel, check the outlines for the novels that appeared from 1986 to 1989.
If a TSR in-house writer was on it, he likely simply changed the names and settings, and still got it out.

I have my theories, there, too:

http://www.dlnexus.com/products/review/381.aspx

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/D ... n_Moonshae

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Horselords

Might just be a brainfart, but I think it's more likely than an entire lost manuscript, for several reasons.
Interesting theories. You never know! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Some of the ideas might seem far fetched - but especially with the Dunador module,
I would be very surprised if this wasn't simply BM with the labels removed. ...Or, at least, an adventure inspired by Dave Arneson's writing.

With the novels, I think Horselords is, for many reasons, the most likely candidate, but somehow I have difficulties to find my Arneson there yet.
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:Some of the ideas might seem far fetched - but especially with the Dunador module,
I would be very surprised if this wasn't simply BM with the labels removed. ...Or, at least, an adventure inspired by Dave Arneson's writing.

Haha, I almost missed that one since your link was so subtly inserted. King Andavar does sound familiar, doesn't it? Still it would be nice to have something more substantial on this.

Quote:With the novels, I think Horselords is, for many reasons, the most likely candidate, but somehow I have difficulties to find my Arneson there yet.

I have read Horselords and it is a pretty cool novel. Although IMC I have sometimes portrayed the Peshwah as close to Mongols, I think this would have been a departure from Arneson.

But you never know...

-Havard
I think somebody wrote a more detailed history of the Dunador setting; you might want to track that down.

I am sorry I can't be more of a help these days, but I got my plate full with the LFC, and something about an inn at a bridge...

As to Horselords, have you read the Gygax novels? The Bakluni from WoG are essentially the Horselords, and they, in turn,
were spawned through Arneson's Peshwah. I think there was even a C&C faction out there that played a Horseclans-style (now, I mean another novel)
faction, but I don't remember which one.
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:I think somebody wrote a more detailed history of the Dunador setting; you might want to track that down.

Given that Dunador has been incorporated into the Forgotten Realms, I am not sure it has too much to offer Blackmoor fans?

Quote:As to Horselords, have you read the Gygax novels? The Bakluni from WoG are essentially the Horselords, and they, in turn,
were spawned through Arneson's Peshwah. I think there was even a C&C faction out there that played a Horseclans-style (now, I mean another novel) faction, but I don't remember which one.

Are you perhaps thinking about the C&C Society Paynims?

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Given that Dunador has been incorporated into the Forgotten Realms, I am not sure it has too much to offer Blackmoor fans?

Quote:Are you perhaps thinking about the C&C Society Paynims?

Yeah, indeed. "Paynims" were a proto-Arabic tribe, before the advent of Islam, though.

So, that could be a hint. I think there was also a pulp series dealing with Ancient Persian mythology
from the 60s that had a "Peshwah" tribe in them, but I don't remember the name. My interest in that one is not so much founded
in Blackmoor, but in that I read the Arslan Senki novels as a child.
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:Yeah, indeed. "Paynims" were a proto-Arabic tribe, before the advent of Islam, though.

So, that could be a hint. I think there was also a pulp series dealing with Ancient Persian mythology
from the 60s that had a "Peshwah" tribe in them, but I don't remember the name. My interest in that one is not so much founded
in Blackmoor, but in that I read the Arslan Senki novels as a child.

Paynim is actually an Anglicized version of the French word "paienime", meaning pagan or heathen.

DungeonDevil had some fairly convinving theories about the origins of the names Afridhi and Peshwah some time ago.

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Could any of this be found in the Chronicles of Thonia manuscript sold on ebay last year?

I have now established contact with the owner of this manuscript. We shall see what information I can get from this contact. Frank Mentzer already confirmed to me that there was information in the manuscript not found in DA1-4, so this could get interesting! Smile

-Havard
Via a thread in The Piazza Blackmoor Forum:

NPCDave Wrote:I found some more information on the Blackmoor Chronicles. This text in the scan is from Imagine Magazine #26(by TSR UK), which was published in early 1985, but keep in mind the time between writing and publication was a month or two.

[Image: IMG-1.jpg]

So the project was originally to be done by Mayfair Games but that fell through for some reason and the DA modules went through instead.

Holy Smurf NPCDave! :o

This is a great find! This means there is yet another chapter in the history that lead to the publication of the DA modules. I suspect that some of the actually published modules must have been compiled out of multiple previously planned adventures, given their complexities. However anything is possible. This is very fascinating!

More details in this thread.

-Havard