Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Gygax and the DA modules
Quote:Arneson: I think the next time any work with TSR was 1985. That was after Gary was able to become president after some sort of stockholders battle which I don't have any details on. One of the first things he did was approach me about doing a series of modules based on Blackmoor, and that seemed really exciting. He was president, I think, for three months when new people came in, and they suddenly weren't interested in working with me for various reasons. Again, I can't go into it, but that was it.

Source: http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/540/540395p4.html

This is pretty interesting. I didnt know it was Gygax who approached Arneson in order to bring back Blackmoor.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I knew. Wink

It is interesting because it shows Gygax to be a big enough of a man to get past whatever personal rancour may have existed between them for the sake of a good product and one that sells. Obviously, he didn't have to do anything of the sort, but he did. It almost seems like an apologetic gesture, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

After Gygax got booted though, TSR wanted nothing to do with good ole Dave and apparently took all control of the DA series away from him. Given that we are only talking a couple months here, its no wonder that Dave had only prepared "notes" for the series and talked a "couple times" with Ritchie. TSR took his stuff and did whatever the heck they wanted with it after that.