Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
World of Id
Havard's posts on Elves have given me an aha! moment. I've been trying to decide when to set my SWA campaign - the characters are nowhere near Blackmoor so I haven't had to pick a set date yet.

But Havards posts about the destruction of the cult of the Id has made me realize that the height of the Id cult is the perfect time. None of the later "famouse" stuff (coot, Temple of the Frog, city of the Gods etc.) has happened yet and the Black Moors of the North are still a very open frontier.

So, what do we think the lay of the land was in 499? I'd love to hear ideas from all.

If I have the timelines right, Ten doesn't exists as a seperate place but is nominally territory of The Peaks; Uberstar is a new and industrious ruler. Mause and Vestfold? Not sure if they even exist or aree more than villages.

What else?
You read my mind! Actually, I have been thinking about the same thing since beginning to write about King Uhlmar.

Actually, not that much is known about the first centuries after the founding of Thonia.

The Duchy of Ten will not exist at all at this time. The Duchy of the Peaks is founded just about around the time when the Temple of Id is destroyed (link?), and there will be several centuries untill enough people move into that duchy so that their southern provinces can declare themselves a separate Duchy.

Dwarves also begin their colonization in the decades following the year 500. You could still have dwarves there, but it might more likely just be scouting parties led by Uberstar to see if the lands are viable.

The lands are covered by huge forest realms, inhabited by elves and darker creatures, including demons (see our Balrog discussion elsewhere).

Skandaharians to the North will be here already at this time, but perhaps their ship building skills have not yet developed enough for them to be a threat to this area?

I am not sure about Vestfold and Maus. I think we have dates for when these settlements were founded, but I need to check. Certainly the Thonian population will be fairly small. You will still have Peshwa however, and perhaps also Valemen who have since been driven westwards. Some of these human tribes will likely be demon-worshippers.

If you want to draw on Mystara canon as well, Beastmen, ancestors of Orcs and Goblins were created around the time when the Temple of Id is destroyed, because "Hel felt that the world needed more death and destruction". Perhaps the creation of Beastmen was a response to the destruction of Id?

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Skandaharians to the North will be here already at this time, but perhaps their ship building skills have not yet developed enough for them to be a threat to this area?
Or perhaps population pressure is not yet intense enough to drive them south in large numbers?
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
Dave L Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Skandaharians to the North will be here already at this time, but perhaps their ship building skills have not yet developed enough for them to be a threat to this area?
Or perhaps population pressure is not yet intense enough to drive them south in large numbers?

Well, the raiding business is a cultural thing I think, much like the real Vikings, but havard has a good point about the boats - have to think about that.

Flipped through DA1 last night looking for clues. Only thing that I noticed that Havard hasn't mentioned was that Vestfold is said to have been founded shortly after Blackmoor village.

Duchy of the Peaks - in the Ross's Gazeteer notes it has "The peaks" settled originally by a council or coven of wizards (the red coven?) - so maybe the "duchy" is still an oligarchy ruled by wizards, who may be or maybe not, in league with ID.
Aldarron Wrote:Well, the raiding business is a cultural thing I think, much like the real Vikings, but havard has a good point about the boats - have to think about that.

I think it could be a mix of both the techological side and what Dave was saying about the population. If we assume that the Skandaharians have a long tradition as raiders, it is not unreasonable that they would first be raiding neighbouring clans, then as their ships got better, they realized there was more wealth to be gained from expanding to the south.

Quote:Flipped through DA1 last night looking for clues. Only thing that I noticed that Havard hasn't mentioned was that Vestfold is said to have been founded shortly after Blackmoor village.

Alright. According to Ross, Blackmoor was founded in the third year of the reign of Robert I, though it was little more than a castle and port at first. Vestfold would have been there then, but likely little more than a village, as you say. I would say that Vestfold doesnt really become too important untill the end of the Mage-Wars.

Quote:Duchy of the Peaks - in the Ross's Gazeteer notes it has "The peaks" settled originally by a council or coven of wizards (the red coven?) - so maybe the "duchy" is still an oligarchy ruled by wizards, who may be or maybe not, in league with ID.

IMC, the Peaks was founded by the Red Coven yeah. AFAIK, this is what the LFC (Rafe's Campaign) uses as well. It is possible that Starport was strengthened from the destruction of the Temple of Id, being a place of refuge for Id Cultists?

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Spoiler tag added.
Didn't mean you couldn't go on with this. Smile
Havard Wrote:If you want to draw on Mystara canon as well, Beastmen, ancestors of Orcs and Goblins were created around the time when the Temple of Id is destroyed, because "Hel felt that the world needed more death and destruction". Perhaps the creation of Beastmen was a response to the destruction of Id?

Havard

I can't imagine Blackmoor without goblins and orcs so I don't think I'd try to fit the beastmen in there.

I think what needs to be done though is create a list of important persons and places of the time. I suppose it wouldn't need to be too detailed, but could be for some things/people.
This one needs a BUMP. :wink: