Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor Multiverse
Havard Wrote:Original Campaign/FFC
Cosmology seems vague. Different Worlds/Time travel is definitely a thing. Characters are able to travel to Blackmoor from Earth, Tekumel etc. Demons, Gods, Elementals likely have their own realms. Characters visit Earth to fight Nazis, WWII era Japanese etc.

Okay, this is what I assumed. There obviously has to be a way for a WWII tank to make it to Blackmoor. :lol: But I wonder how much the players ever heard about Blackmoor cosmology or how much of it was ever developed. Maybe the Great Svenny can enlighten us. :wink:

Ultimately, it seems that Blackmoor cosmology is up to DMs to design, unless you're relying on BECMI or D20. In my case, I wouldn't be connecting Blackmoor to Earth or other worlds. I like the idea of keeping things simple and minimizing the number of planes and the complexity of the cosmology. This makes The Seven Realms, mentioned above, a tantalizing solution.

I don't know if Sheridan has anything more to share about The Seven Realms and the Age of the Wolf, but those realms would seem to fulfill all of D&D's core requirements. Certain monsters, spells and other game features require the existence of certain planes, and the Seven Realms would seem to accommodate them:

The Middle Realm (Material Plane)
The Celestial Realm (Outer Planes/Mount Celestia)
The Infernal Realm (Nine Hells/Abyss)
The Dark Realm (Shadowfell/Abyss)
The Elf Realm (Feywild)
The Far Realm (Home of the Egg!)
The Realm of Fire and Ice (Elemental Planes/Fire and Water)
Well, there was the placement of Blackmoor in John Sniders space campaign as a planet - which is where you get the Avains and the whole City of the Gods business, and how the crossover from Tekumel was possible. There's also a legendary story Arneson wrote in 1974 for the Bel-Ran newsletter about the destructive "med-a" (media?) in which a place called Blackmoor and Bleakwood are mentioned as being on a planet called Urth. While the story is a kind of quasi religious history, the name of the planet could be taken as a basic fact if you like.