• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Dwarf/Gnome Timeline
[Image: 15051296908_1ce687fcaa_z.jpg]DwarfLands_of_Blackmoor

Figured some illustrations might be in order Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
What do you think of the reference in the ZGG City of the Gods (page 12), in the description of the magical sword Ember?

Quote:The blade was forged as a gift to the barbarian warlords, when the world was still young and the dwarves reigned over
much of the north. Forged by the legendary dwarf smith Thorwien Dur’Hail, Ember is said to have a companion set
of blackened scale mail armor, but the suit of armor was last seen centuries ago in the hoard of the ancient red wyrm,
Asarioch.

Ember is forged of the same material as the arcane towers of the Valley of the Gods, possibly dating it to the same era as their construction (possibly during the reign of the Orichalans in the Wilderlands?). Do you think there was a period in which the dwarves ruled over most of the north, or are you inclined to dismiss that reference? Where would you place Thorwien Dur'Hail in your timeline?
ripvanwormer Wrote:What do you think of the reference in the ZGG City of the Gods (page 12), in the description of the magical sword Ember?

Quote:The blade was forged as a gift to the barbarian warlords, when the world was still young and the dwarves reigned over
much of the north. Forged by the legendary dwarf smith Thorwien Dur’Hail, Ember is said to have a companion set
of blackened scale mail armor, but the suit of armor was last seen centuries ago in the hoard of the ancient red wyrm,
Asarioch.

Ember is forged of the same material as the arcane towers of the Valley of the Gods, possibly dating it to the same era as their construction (possibly during the reign of the Orichalans in the Wilderlands?). Do you think there was a period in which the dwarves ruled over most of the north, or are you inclined to dismiss that reference? Where would you place Thorwien Dur'Hail in your timeline?

Ah yes!

I touched upon this in the thread about the Fall of Castle Hammerfire. I think the reference to the dwarves reigning over much of the North is problematic. Perhaps it refers to the time between Uberstar Khazakhum's settlement of the North and the before the Orc Wars or even before the Mage Wars? Of course, this makes it impossible to place the sword in the Age of Giants, but that was just an idea I had in the other thread, there is nothing canonical suggesting it is linked to that age.

Another option is to link the swordsmith to the Duchy of Evedhur, a dwarven realm to the South settled by Uberstar's brother. Possibily this may at some point have controlled most of the lands of the Iron Duke (Borno- the Thonian Rand) before the Thonians settled there. I like your suggestion of a possible Wilderlands link to the material used in the blade, though I suppose the Dwarf Smith Thorwien Dur’Hail could have used an ancient metal in more recent times?

Perhaps the Barbarian Warlord dressed in a Black Suit of Armor and wielding Ember could give us some more clues to when this would have been made?

Edit: As an added bonus, we get to have Uberstar, Thorwien and Uvae as contemporary settlers of the North.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign