Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Baleborn Orcs do not use Katanas!
So, I alwas found it weird that the monster description for Baleborn Orcs in the D20 Blackmoor sourcebook have them wielding Katanas. 

But before we get into that, what does Baleborn mean?

From what I understand, Bale is English for a bundle of hay or other goods. But I think this more linked to an older meaning of the word, linked to funeral pyres (bale-fire), likely derived from the norse word Bál (or bål in modern Scandinavian).

So Baleborn Orcs are Orcs born of fire, presumaby of some kind of demonic origin. The first appearance of this race is in the d20 version and I don't think ZGG used them all that much outside of the main sourcebook?

Having demon-bloooded Orcs is a lot of fun though, and given the presence of demons (Balrogs in the original campaign) it makes sense that half demons or creatures infused with demonic power would be around. Orcs would be likely candidates for that given that they spend more time with demons than most other races. 

So back to their swords. Why do they use Katanas? I suspect the main reason is simply that the Katana was the most powerful sword in 3E. The illustration in the d20 Blackmoor sourcebook is awesome though and does give the Baleborn Orc a kind of quasi Japanese flavor to it. But to me it makes little sense that they would be Japanese Orcs. 

Instead, I am thinking that the swords they use are not Katanas. They use the stats for Katanas, but they are a different kind of swords. They are in fact demon forged swords, lets call them Baleblades. Unique swords are very much on brand with Blackmoor, given Arneson's fascination with magical swords for his campaign. 

I want to make Baleblades a special kind of swords (for any edition), useable only by individuals who have been trained by demons.

What do you think? Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign