Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Jallapierie the Mage
With the tragic passing of James Lafferiere, player of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor campaign, I wanted to look more at the character James played that eventually became known as Jallapierie or Jal in the DA modules and elsewhere. 

Jal is described on p 51 of DA1 where he appears as a 17th level Human Magic user. Remember that DA1 details Blackmoor 30 years after the classic campaign. Jal also appears in DA3 as part of a group trying to enlist the PCs on a mission into the Valley of the Ancients. Outside of published material, Jallapierrie appeared as a recurring NPC in the Last Fantasy Campaign ran here at the Comeback Inn, DMed by Rafael.

By 1030, Jal is a teacher at Blackmoor University and is described as a kind and fair man. He was somewhat controversial among magic users in the North for his staunch support for King Uther. 

What else is known about this character from games and published material?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Jallapierre was a NPC in DA1 and I used him as a NPC in my home campaign as well. He was at guard of the gate between the worlds under the Comeback Inn and in similar situations where the risk is high and it's important to have good judgment. In practice, he'd have to decide if it's better zapping whoever and whatever passes the gate (as most of the creatures entering through the gate between the worlds are evil and dangerous) or if it is better making some exception (for example when the characters cross the gate near the beginning of the adventure!) and investigate the situation before taking a decision.
His restraint is everything that lets the adventure (DA1) start smoothly. If he was short-tempered or prone to attacking first and asking questions later, the adventure would start in a much more complicate way.
Maybe this tells us something the player behind the character as well, maybe this is just a mad conjecture in my head.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.