Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Noble Houses of Blackmoor (Updated)
Aldarron Wrote:Was Robert the Bald a wizard? I think I just assumed he was a warrior. I was also under the impression that John Sniders character Boozero had a barony (?) and I'm sure was a fighter. Will try to take a quick look in the FFC.

Robert the Bald is indeed a Wizard. He lives up in Cloudtop. Bosero is also a wizard, though he also likes dressing up in metal armor.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Okey doke. I found the bit in the FFC I was thinking of. Its "Campaign Map Notes". In that section "Svenson, the Sinders, Monson, Nelson and Gaylord are all said to have (or had) "holdings" I suppose that makes them nobles but whether that qualifies for inclusion in your list could be a seperate question.
Aldarron Wrote:Okey doke. I found the bit in the FFC I was thinking of. Its "Campaign Map Notes". In that section "Svenson, the Sinders, Monson, Nelson and Gaylord are all said to have (or had) "holdings" I suppose that makes them nobles but whether that qualifies for inclusion in your list could be a seperate question.

I like your questions Aldarron. They make me think about why I make certain decisions in my writeups.

I have a separate writeup of the holdings of Blackmoor on my computer. I will post it later today. In that list, I have divided the holdings into sections based on whether they are controlled by Nobles, Wizards or the Church.

In the list in this thread, I am not focusing on the holdings, but on the noble families. The idea is that nobles will answer directly to King Uther, but the assumption is that Clerics and Wizards are in a more independent position. I am basing this on David Ross' Fan Gazetteer so even at this point it seems to suggest that Wizards have some sort of organization, even though this was before ZG changed the role of the Wizard's Cabal.

This also affects what happens to Holdings when a character dies. When a noble dies, an heir is likely to take over the holding whereas the Church most likely decides who will inherit Church Holdings. Not sure about Wizards; their apprentices perhaps? I guess there are greater chances of the holdings "going evil" when it comes to Wizards...

-Havard
Here's the post of Blackmoor's Holdings, as promised:
http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=588

Smile

-Havard
Updated with the following:

Quote:HOUSE BRAVEEN (Lesser House)
Stronhold: Blackmoor
Leader: Lord Latimere Braveen
Note: Introduced in MMRPG Ep 41

I'm sure more will come up as I go deeper into the research of the MMRPG episodes. Any help will be appreciated! Smile

-Havard
House Zov added to the Thonian Houses

-Havard
I just stumbled on this and thought it didn't sound familiar, so I checked the list here and didn't see it.
This quote is from page 224 of the DAB campaign sourcebook:

On the hilt of the dagger is a symbol showing a
large shield with a crossed handaxe; A DC 15 Knowledge
(nobility and royalty) check (reveals that this symbol
belongs to the noble Arthous family of Blackmoor.
Aldarron Wrote:I just stumbled on this and thought it didn't sound familiar, so I checked the list here and didn't see it.
This quote is from page 224 of the DAB campaign sourcebook:

On the hilt of the dagger is a symbol showing a
large shield with a crossed handaxe; A DC 15 Knowledge
(nobility and royalty) check (reveals that this symbol
belongs to the noble Arthous family of Blackmoor.

Great find Dan!

I will add it to the list Smile

I guess this will be another lesser house. As with the other lesser houses, I always assume that they could have more significant branches in Thonia too.

-Havard
Cool. How do you distinguish between lesser and greater houses? What about extinct houses?
Aldarron Wrote:Cool. How do you distinguish between lesser and greater houses?

These labels were just something I added to illustrate that some houses are more important than others. I considered all houses of Barony or higher status to be major houses. I believe these are also all represented on the Regency Council. Similarly in the Duchy of Ten, I consider the Ten Noble families to be major houses of that country, while others would be lesser houses.

Quote:What about extinct houses?

Do we have any names of such houses? I suppose some of the historical rulers of Blackmoor could be from extinct houses?

-Havard