Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Fey Lords
I don't like the Fey Lord prestige class from the d20 Dave Arneson's Blackmoor Sourcebook all that much, but I love the concept of it. I really like how this concept ties back to the history of the elves when they were protected by the Fey and lived sheltered from the dangers of the world. I also like how the Fey Lord concept gives the Fey races a more definted role in the world of Blackmoor. Their history as protectors of the Elves etc.

We know that The Wizard of the Woods was often accompanies by Pixies, so he would almost make a good fit for the Fey Lord PrC, but by the rules that option is only available to elves and half-elves.

I am toying with the idea of Fey Lords being held in high esteem in elven society and perhaps there could be a council of Fey Lords advicing Menander? I also see them as a kind of Tom Bombadil types (personality-wise, not that powerful).

The book also describes the Fey Lords as wanderers, explorers and people who seek to free Fey who are in captivity. Which leads to the question of what kind of people who keep Fey in captivity and why this is such an (apprently) widespread problem? PC1 mentions how Fey fled from Thonia to Blackmoor, so there might be a clue there.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Not much is detailed about pre-Black Rebellion fey of Thorn's World That Was, except to note that the fey were continuously driven north in response to Thonia's expansion.

It is entirely plausible that with the encroachment of civilization, with its clearing of forests, harnessing waterways for travel and power, and imposing (shudder) order over the natural world that Thonians might very well take fey (as advisors in the best cases, slaves or servants in the worst) into their households.
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
RobJN Wrote:Not much is detailed about pre-Black Rebellion fey of Thorn's World That Was, except to note that the fey were continuously driven north in response to Thonia's expansion.

It is entirely plausible that with the encroachment of civilization, with its clearing of forests, harnessing waterways for travel and power, and imposing (shudder) order over the natural world that Thonians might very well take fey (as advisors in the best cases, slaves or servants in the worst) into their households.

I think it would be cool if there were ways a Thonian Wizard might be able to drain energy from captured Fey, allowing him to cast more spells or to be used in enchantments etc. I like the idea of evil wizards carrying cages with pixies in them....

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:I think it would be cool if there were ways a Thonian Wizard might be able to drain energy from captured Fey, allowing him to cast more spells or to be used in enchantments etc. I like the idea of evil wizards carrying cages with pixies in them....

-Havard
In the Sylvan Realm of Thorn's World That Was, the hag living in the northern bogs became what she is by consuming all of the other fey and sylvan creatures in her realm. This could be in both the literal and figurative sense, since she's also associated with at least one errant black dragonstone from the Radiant reactor powering Dragonwatch Keep.

She's got a fine collection of dried pixie tongues to snack on. Who knows? Maybe they grant her spell-like powers (invisibility? etc) depending on how she's seasoned them....

Also, fun fact: the trinket my wife's magic user PC rolled up? Dead sprite in a jar. :lol: Not only a great Legend of Zelda reference, but also a nice plot device, should I need Something Unexplained-but-Magical to happen....
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog