Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Cumasti - Unique features?
As we talked about in the other thread, Cumasti are probably most similar to High Elves or Wood Elves in other D&D settings. What makes this Blackmoor race stand out from other races however?

A few initial thoughts:
IMPORTANCE OF THE SIX ELEMENTS
Blackmoor elves believe the world is organized according to Six Elements: Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Wood and Metal. This has lead to unique practises of magic, known as Elven Elementalism. The Gods of the Elves are also connected to these Elements. I think it could be interesting of all of elven society is organized in the same way. Perhaps each Elven Clan is tied to one element. Maybe we could draw some inspiration from the Avatar Animated series? If Peter Jackson hired WETA to create props for a Blackmoor movie he would direct, it would be cool if the clothes, armor, architecture etc of these elves was also connected to the elements in the same way.

THE BLACK CURSE
The Cumasti are not affected by the Black Curse in the same way as it affects their Westryn cousins. However, the division of the two races has surely made its mark. I could see there being a divide between those Cumasti who seek to heal the division with the Westryn, while others might see the Westryn and their Black Queen as traitors and hate them with a passion. The Cumasti used to rule over a vast woodland after the curse divided the people, even more of the realm was destroyed by the sinking of the land by the Egg of Coot. The race might have succumbed to mourning and complete despair had it not been for the leadership of the Ithamis Clan and their decision to look outwards and fight back against their enemies.

RELATIONS TO THE WORLD
The Cumasti, especially under the rule of Menander Ithamis have embraced the alliance with King Uther and perhaps less enthusiastically with the dwarves. Since they are not affected by the Black Curse, they are able to have offspring with humans and all half-elves are of Cumasti parentage. Most Cumasti view half-elves favorably and often treat them as their own kin. They also get along well with halflings and Gnomes. Treants, Centaurs, Pixies and other Fey and Sylvan creatures are also frequently seen in the Kingdom of Redwood and Ringlo Hall. Cumasti openness towards the world is not purely a result of naivete. King Menander uses the secret agents of the Gen'Ri as spies and information gatherers around the world.

THE SCAR
The Redwood Scar carried the intriguing promise of a continued storyline. I don't know if the MMRPG revealed any more secrets behind the scar or whether other Scars would be created? The 4E Blackmoor Sourcebook suggests these scars are formed by magic gone wrong. Jeff Quinn later introduced the Scarrythe as elves directly affected by the bad magic effects of the Scar.

WEAPONS AND EQUIPMENT
For the most part, the Cumasti are similar to most elves in their choice of weapons and armor. They carry elegant elven blades, prefer elven chainmails and excell and archery. This is a chance for players to play out most of the traditional elven archetypes Unique weapons of the elves mentioned in the d20 Blackmoor sourcebook include the Elven Longblade, the Elve Sword Bow as well as special arrows such as the Fire Arrow, Storm Arrow, White Arrow and Yew Arrow. The D20 Blackmoor Players Guide mentions Bark Armor and Elven Earrings as unique elven items. The FFC mentions waterhoses of holy water, which might be appropriate for more gonzo 70s campaigns or could probably be turned into wands of holy water or some similar magical item in a less humoristic campaign.

What are other things that could make the the Cumasti stand out compared to other D&D settings?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Quote:The Redwood Scar carried the intriguing promise of a continued storyline. I don't know if the MMRPG revealed any more secrets behind the scar or whether other Scars would be created? The 4E Blackmoor Sourcebook suggests these scars are formed by magic gone wrong. Jeff Quinn later introduced the Scarrythe as elves directly affected by the bad magic effects of the Scar.

I believe that the Redwood Scar saga ends at Episode 82: Wound behind the Scar, but there is also the Curse of the Westryn saga that (I believe) ends with Episode 87: Erethor's Tower and of course has much to to with the Cumasti as well.
I remember that Jeff Quinn mentioned he was working on another saga linked to another scar (EDIT: I found this: viewtopic.php?p=31575#p31575 but I do remember there was another topic more specific about it...), but I don't think this was published yet.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo Wrote:
Quote:The Redwood Scar carried the intriguing promise of a continued storyline. I don't know if the MMRPG revealed any more secrets behind the scar or whether other Scars would be created? The 4E Blackmoor Sourcebook suggests these scars are formed by magic gone wrong. Jeff Quinn later introduced the Scarrythe as elves directly affected by the bad magic effects of the Scar.

I believe that the Redwood Scar saga ends at Episode 82: Wound behind the Scar, but there is also the Curse of the Westryn saga that (I believe) ends with Episode 87: Erethor's Tower and of course has much to to with the Cumasti as well.
I remember that Jeff Quinn mentioned he was working on another saga linked to another scar (EDIT: I found this: viewtopic.php?p=31575#p31575 but I do remember there was another topic more specific about it...), but I don't think this was published yet.

Thanks Yaz! Smile

Erethor's Tower deals with the Curse of the Black Queen. Was it ever spelled out that the Redwood Scar was yet another manifestation of that Curse? It does make sense, but I was never sure if that was the case. It would make sense and perhaps keep things from becoming too complicated by introducing new storylines. It would have been interesting to see if Jeff would write those follow-up adventures. Perhaps some day.

-Havard
I found the right thread! viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8370
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
One, I dunno, thought I guess, concerns how much info from the FFC you would want to tie to the Cumasti. Arneson's elves bitd were technologically gifted engineers (kinda like gnomes maybe). They were also sexual lebertines.
Aldarron Wrote:One, I dunno, thought I guess, concerns how much info from the FFC you would want to tie to the Cumasti. Arneson's elves bitd were technologically gifted engineers (kinda like gnomes maybe).

There is actually some precendence for this in the d20 Blackmoor Sourcebook as well, mostly linked to the Elves who follow Fiumarra. Also there are some references to Elven inventions in the book Clock & Steam, even though that book is specifically designated as non-canonical.

I am not a huge fan of this idea mainly because it takes away one of the main schticks from dwarves (and gnomes). I am thinking about tweaking it a bit though, so that only *some* elves are known to work with technology (again the Fiumarra worshippers and related clans) and that these might also be known to work with the dwarves as well as with the University of Blackmoor.

Quote: They were also sexual lebertines.

Sexuality doesn't play a huge place in my game, but I could see that as appropriate. Smile

-Havard