Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Shag Rug in Temple of the Frog?
Someone named John posted the following in the Blackmoor Fans Facebook group:

John Wrote:I have two questions.

In the Zeitgeist Temple of the Frog D.A. writes that there is no shag carpeting this time.

Where was the shag carpeting in the original Temple in the Blackmoor booklet?

I read a review of the original Blackmoor booklet where they complained that, amongst other things, St. Stephen in the Temple of the Frog was obviously supposed to be Harry Mudd from Star Trek. I looked through the Temple of the Frog and I don't see it, though admittedly I am not a Star Trek fan.

Do you agree that St. Stephen was just Harry Mudd and if so what indications are there that this is the case?

St. Stephen was a character created by Stephen Rocheford, obviously with some input from Dave Arneson. Star Trek is an obvious source of inspiration fort his character and other sci fi elements in Blackmoor, but this is the first time I've heard comparisons to the Harry Mudd character. Not sure about the shag carpeting reference either?

Anyone here know more? Sounds like this was a fairly grumpy review if they complained about something like how St. Stephen was portrayed...

Edit: here is the review: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11381.phtml

Written by someone who didn't like D&D so no wonder he doesn't like Supplement II Tongue

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I never heard this before either.
[Image: Sven.png]
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign
Griff at the Facebook group suggested that the Shag Rug comment was a reference to the TSR offices back in the 70s. I havent had time to look up the ZGG module yet. Not sure if that holds up?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Greg, you probably know this one way or the other, but if memory serves the shag carpeting was in Arneson's house courtesy of his mother.

Star Trek yes, Harry Mud no. Saint Stephen was inspired by Professor John Gill from the episode "Patterns of Force".
Aldarron Wrote:Greg, you probably know this one way or the other, but if memory serves the shag carpeting was in Arneson's house courtesy of his mother.

Star Trek yes, Harry Mud no. Saint Stephen was inspired by Professor John Gill from the episode "Patterns of Force".
That was the time for shag carpets, but I don't remember them tying into the Temple of the Frog adventure.
[Image: Sven.png]
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign