Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor map scale fun
Blackmoor map scales are all over the place. Dave L. summed up some of this before:

Dave L Wrote:The FFC and the DA1 and DA4 maps use exactly the same outline.

FFC says it is 10 miles/hex, DA1 says 24 miles/hex and DA4 (as well as DA3, showing the area to the south) say 12 miles/hex.

As for the ZG map - that's a completely different animal.

The "original" 1971 Blackmoor map that Arneson sent to Rob Kuntz doesn't have a scale on it, but it is drawn on a US standard sized 8.5 x 11" piece of paper.

A year later when he sent the "Facts About Blackmoor" article to the Domesday Book, he wrote that Blackmoor was "4346 square miles", so thinking he might possibly have meant the whole of the original map I tried to roughly calculate the length and width using the paper size.

Long story short, 52 x 83 gets you pretty close at 4316. (one wonders if a 1 were mistaken for a 4, but the extra 15 x 15 miles isn't much to quibble at.)

Now I want to point out that if Arneson intended his original map to only be about 83 miles across, that would make it by far the smallest Blackmoor yet at only around, lets call it 7 miles per inch - that puts the Egg of Coot only about 15 miles from Blackmoor.

The "Facts" piece though seems to only be talking about the Barony of Blackmoor itself. If you look at the "population", there's only one dragon, 100 elves, and 1000 peasants.

So I think the 4346 square miles must just be the area around castle Blackmoor - basically what is inside the dotted lines on that original map.

Because those lines are all wobbly and half missing there's probably no way to get anything approaching an accurate scale, but it seems to roughly go E/W from the middle of the swamp to the far side of Southlake and roughly N/S from Blackmoor bay down to Rat lake - so roughly 1/3 to 1/4 of the map area. Multiplying everything by three puts us at something like 18 - 24 miles to the inch whereas four would be in the ballpark of 24-30 miles to the inch. That suggest that the FFC figure of 22 miles per inch/10miles per hex is probably close to what Arneson had in mind at the start.

Not that any of it really maters, but at least it gives an idea of what was intended.

moving on to another scale issue

Zeitgeist games released a beautifully done map of Blackmoor at the time of the switchover to 4e. It's in the 4e sourcebook, and Havard hosts a seperate file of this same map you can look at here https://blackmoor.mystara.net/img/BlackmoorSmall.jpg

Thing is, the map printed in the sourcebook and the online map have different scales! The size of the scale bar is identical but one is numbered in 10's and the other in 20's. I guess one of these was meant to correct the other. Not sure which. Anybody know?
Aldarron Wrote:Zeitgeist games released a beautifully done map of Blackmoor at the time of the switchover to 4e. It's in the 4e sourcebook, and Havard hosts a seperate file of this same map you can look at here https://blackmoor.mystara.net/img/BlackmoorSmall.jpg
That's the one that I'm actually using for handing it over to the players.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
I'd be curious to know the definitive scale of the 4E map as well, although I tend to think the sourcebook version has the correct scale. That would be more consistent with the scale of the preceding D20 map.

By the way, there's at least one immediately noticeable discrepancy between the 4E map and the D20 version. Williamsfort has been moved to an incorrect location on the 4E map. It should be at the northwest edge of the Stormkiller Mountains and not out on a plain and northwest of what I assume is a remnant of the older, larger Redwood.
Aldarron Wrote:Zeitgeist games released a beautifully done map of Blackmoor at the time of the switchover to 4e. It's in the 4e sourcebook, and Havard hosts a seperate file of this same map you can look at here https://blackmoor.mystara.net/img/BlackmoorSmall.jpg

Slight correction. This map by Clayton Bunce originally appeared with the Hardcover version of the 3E book. Dustin Clingman later released the version linked above with a different scale.

The 3E softcover book had a different poster map with hexes.

It is curious that the 4E version reverted back to the orgininal ZGG map, although it is possble that the Clayton Bunce map looked better in the format of a single page than the 3E hex map would have.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Thanks for that Havard - was that the 3e players handbook?

Anyway, it sounds like the scale was 0-80 and then was "corrected" to 0-40 and then was either re-corrected back to 0 -80 or else the correction silipped through the cracks when the 4e book was prepared.

Does that sound right?

Greg Wrote:I'd be curious to know the definitive scale of the 4E map as well, although I tend to think the sourcebook version has the correct scale. That would be more consistent with the scale of the preceding D20 map.

I think you are right about 0-80 being more consistent. Just counting hexes for the distance between Blackmoor and Maus on the FFC map at a scale of 10 miles per hex gives something in the Ballpark of 150 miles. Using the 0-80 scale and a ruler gets you something in the ballpark of 110 miles.

At the 0-40 scale the distance is more like 55 miles.

Ultimately, the question is "how big is your Blackmoor?"

I have to say that the 0 - 40 scale seems more "realistic" to me or maybe a better word is "manageable" even if it is less accurate to the intended scale. I mean 150 miles, or even 110 miles between Maus and Blackmoor is a big distance for a sparsely settled northern Frontier.

What's ironic, or maybe just fortunate, is that when I did the alignment of the Bunce Blackmoor map and the Dragon Mag Greyhawk Blackmoor map, I used the 0-40 scalebar of Bunce and matched that to the 0-50 scale of the Dragon mag map, which then produced an overlay where the locations of Blackmoor village and Maus on each map fell right on top of each other. It's an amazingly good alignment, and that never would have happened if I had used the 0-80 scale. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, there 2 posts starting here https://boggswood.blogspot.com/2019/09/m...kmoor.html)

Greg Wrote:By the way, there's at least one immediately noticeable discrepancy between the 4E map and the D20 version. Williamsfort has been moved to an incorrect location on the 4E map. It should be at the northwest edge of the Stormkiller Mountains and not out on a plain and northwest of what I assume is a remnant of the older, larger Redwood.

Yeah, good catch. We have noticed some other liberties here and there. The position of the roads became an issue in this thread: https://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/vie...=91&t=1466
Aldarron Wrote:Thanks for that Havard - was that the 3e players handbook?

No, this was the 3E Softcover version of the Core Book. It also included some revisions expansions to the 3E Hard Cover such as the Monk of the Fallen Stars Class which I first found out about from Big Mac at The Piazza.

There was a separate Player's Guide to Blackmoor, but there was no map in that one.

Quote:Anyway, it sounds like the scale was 0-80 and then was "corrected" to 0-40 and then was either re-corrected back to 0 -80 or else the correction silipped through the cracks when the 4e book was prepared.

Does that sound right?

I think that is correct, although for some reason I always imagined that Dustin wanted to change it the other way around to make the setting bigger. Their lisence from WotC prevented them from developing the world outside the map, so I thought they wanted the world to be as big as possible.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign