Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
The Kraken of Blackmoor Bay
I was a little underwhelmed when I first got my hands on Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor (DoCBM), but every time I reread it, this book reveals more gems.

The Great Kraken of Blackmoor Bay is mentioned in the First Fantasy Campaign p 28 where it is revealed that the monster will sometimes rise and eat those who might fall into the water.

The Sea Battle in Blackmoor Bay illustrated on p8 (Revised Ed.) may also be a reference to an adventure involving the Kraken.

DoCBM also features a Kraken within the Blackmoor Dungeon (DocBM p291). This ancient Kraken is named Uzu-Kul and is a 14th level spellcaster.

I think it is reasonable to assume that the Kraken from the FFC and Uzu-Kul are one and the same, especially since Uzu-Kul's lair is connected to the Bay.

This tells me that the authors of DoCBM had studied the FFC and /or other notes given to them by Dave Arneson quite closely, even if it isn't always obvious.

What are Uzu-Kul's origins? He is stated to be ancient. Does his origins go back to the early Sar-Aigu?

I find it a bit silly to have a huge Kraken just outside the fully restored Castle as described in the d20 line and the DA modules. However, it is possible that the Great Kraken was wounded in the sea battle with the Blackmoor heroes and retreated into the dungeons after this?

What adventures could be designed involving the Kraken? I could see him being used independently of the dungeon too...

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I think that all makes perfect sense. That was an interesting question about adventures - maybe something that also involves the mermaids.