Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[DoCBM] Who did the Medusa from the Blackmoor Dungeon Kill?
So, in the Blackmoor Dungeon, as presented in Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor, there is a Medusa named Medrowica (DocBM p 135). The medusa has a hat of disguise and presents herself as the elf Polinyra Pyltari.

This got me thinking. What of Polinyra Pyltari was one of the Medusa's past victims? What sort of lore could we extrapolate from this? Is the Pyltari Clan an important family in the Redwood? Is this how the Watchful Helmet ended up in the Dungeon?

I love finding tidbits like this in published material and then seeing where we can take it.

More on this later! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I does make one wonder if there is some story that happened in playtesting behind it.
Aldarron Wrote:I does make one wonder if there is some story that happened in playtesting behind it.

Good point. This could be something based on the ZGG playtest.

Reading DoCBM, one thing that bothers me is that the book sometimes gives me names for random goblins or other lesser monsters of little interest, but powerful monsters like some of the demons are not named.

-Havard
Here's an example of how I like to use weird tidbits from the published books:

Rhylerion Pyltari – The General
During the war against the Temple of ID, Rhylerion was a middle-aged elf who has worked his way up in the ranks of the elven military. Once King Uhlmar appointed him to the rank of General, Rhylerion took the opportunity to reform the arm. Always wary of threats to the elven nation, he founded a secret order known as the Gen’Ri who would form a network of spies, bringing back information on other races to the General. He wore the Watchful Helmet, a magical artifact which gave him added insight as well as protection on the battlefield.

In the modern era, Rhylerion is an aging Elf sitting on the council of Menander Ithamis. His daugher, Polinyra, disappeared some years ago. It is believed that she went into the Blackmoor Dungeon seeking to recover her father's helmet which was stolen from the elves. Rhylerion fears that his daugher has perished, but any news of her fate would make him rest easier and adventurers bringing such information to the General would be rewarded.

-Havard