Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[Thonia] Fall of the Dwarves - A Campaign Expansion
[Image: 48074124773_c1cb27c1c0_z.jpg]

With the overwhelming response to the Thonian Rand Sourcebook we released last month, I could not stop thinking about the lands I had described within it, drawing on many different sources linked to Dave Arneson's World of Blackmoor. While the PDF is self contained, I felt like a campaign outline might have been useful to illustrate how this booklet might be used.

CBI-2 The Thonian Rand introduces the Duchy of Evedhur. The idea with Evedhur was to expand on the lore of Dwarves from the Blackmoor Campaign Setting. In Dave Arneson’s campaign, the dwarves were ruled by Oberstar Kazakhum , the Regent of the Mines. In CBI-2, I gave him a brother, Arkalist Kazakhum.

My idea for the character Arkalist, was that this dwarf, like his brother, wanted a kingdom of his own and settled in a mountain chain in the Thonian Empire. Arkalist’s Duchy of Evedhur also allowed me to incorporate some of the material and characters from Clock & Steam, another Blackmoor sourcebook from Zeitgeist Games written for Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition. The following is the outline for a campaign where the players will have a chance to determine the fate of the Duchy of Evedhur and perhaps the entire world of Dave Arneson’s Blackmoor™

I hope you will like this campaign expansion as much as you enjoyed the Thonian Rand Sourcebook.

Download the Fall of the Dwarves Campaign Expansion here

Trouble Downloading? Read this first!

Please let us know what you think of this PDF here! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Very nice expansion and great cover!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo Wrote:Very nice expansion and great cover!

Thank you! Smile

I keep revising in my mind how to make the Thonia Sourcebooks better. I already have drafts for 10 books in the works. I'm thinking campaign outlines or adventure seeds can be a useful addition to either incorporate within the books themselves, or as future "expansion" booklets if needed.

I didn't plan on an expansion for the Thonian Rand book at first, but I could not quite let this project go.

The idea that the Dwarven Realm of Evedhur keeps existing within the Empire of Thonia as a kind of good realm within a greater Empire that gradually becomes more and more corrupt was something I felt we needed to adress. Why doesn't Duke Arkalist go against the Emperor and the Iron Duke and why is Arkalist still allowed to rule his realm? This campaign outline adresses those things.

It also allowed me to make some connections to the Age of the Wolf which is where the cover image was taken from. I don't know exactly what a Herald of Thanatos (pictured above) was supposed to be, but it might make sense if the dwarves of Evedhur had taken part in creating them for use against Blackmoor. Obviously Duke Arkalist would not want to help the Iron Duke, but if the Dwarf Duke was replaced then things would be different.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:
Yaztromo Wrote:Very nice expansion and great cover!

Thank you! Smile

I keep revising in my mind how to make the Thonia Sourcebooks better. I already have drafts for 10 books in the works. I'm thinking campaign outlines or adventure seeds can be a useful addition to either incorporate within the books themselves, or as future "expansion" booklets if needed.

I didn't plan on an expansion for the Thonian Rand book at first, but I could not quite let this project go.

The idea that the Dwarven Realm of Evedhur keeps existing within the Empire of Thonia as a kind of good realm within a greater Empire that gradually becomes more and more corrupt was something I felt we needed to adress. Why doesn't Duke Arkalist go against the Emperor and the Iron Duke and why is Arkalist still allowed to rule his realm? This campaign outline adresses those things.

It also allowed me to make some connections to the Age of the Wolf which is where the cover image was taken from. I don't know exactly what a Herald of Thanatos (pictured above) was supposed to be, but it might make sense if the dwarves of Evedhur had taken part in creating them for use against Blackmoor. Obviously Duke Arkalist would not want to help the Iron Duke, but if the Dwarf Duke was replaced then things would be different.

-Havard
I would not be disappointed if each sourcebook had a companion adventure guide full of adventure hooks/seeds, expanded NPCs, detailed maps, etc.....
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog