Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[ENW Repost]
http://www.enworld.org/forum/publishers ... games.html

Posted by Goodman Games 25th March 2003, 03:49 PM :

Blackmoor d20 to be published by Goodman Games
For those of you who missed the announcement at GTS...

Dave Arneson’s Blackmoor Joins the Goodman Games Lineup

March 17, 2003 – Goodman Games is proud to announce an agreement with Zeitgeist Games to publish Dave Arneson’s Blackmoor setting using the d20 rules system. Dave Arneson, creator of Blackmoor and co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons, will guide the development team at Zeitgeist Games through the production of the book. The 224-page hardback will be available in August at a suggested retail price of $35.00.

"Blackmoor’s return will be a milestone for adventure gaming," said Mr. Arneson. "It was the first setting for D&D and it has always been the best. Now the old guard can relive their early adventures, and a new generation of gamers can experience it for the first time."

"We expect the Blackmoor world guide to set new standards for campaign settings," said Dustin Clingman, President of Zeitgeist Games and lead developer of the updated Blackmoor setting. "This is a world that has been constantly developed for almost 30 years. The roots of Dungeons & Dragons were nurtured in its soil."

"I’m proud to be involved in a project of this significance," said Joseph Goodman, President of Goodman Games. "Blackmoor’s a classic world with a very distinctive feel. It’s great to be part of its return."

The Zeitgeist Games development team includes well known writer Jeff Quinn, whose work for many prominent RPG publishers has earned him two ENnie nominations.

Dave Arneson, "the Father of Role Playing," first began development on Blackmoor in the early 1970s. He was the co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons and a founding member of TSR. For more information, visit www.castleblackmoor.com.

Zeitgeist Games was founded in 2002 by Dave Arneson and Dustin Clingman. It began development on Blackmoor in late 2002 and is currently in negotiations with Wizards of the Coast to clarify the rights to Blackmoor. For more information, visit www.zeitgeistgames.com.

Goodman Games was founded in 2001 by Joseph Goodman. It is known for its original d20 supplements, including the Aerial Adventure Guide, Dungeon Crawl Classics, and Broncosaurus Rex. For more information, visit www.goodman-games.com or email goodmangames@mindspring.com.

Dungeons & Dragons and the d20 system are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast.
info@goodman-games.com

JoeGKushner:
Alright... questions....

1. How much crunch vs. flavor? The FR hardcover is one of the better books I've seen with adventurers, monsters, backround, feats, etc...

2. Will this relate in any way to the old Blackmoor modules? City of the Gods, etc... (technology!)

3. Any planned support for this puppy? This setting would be another great one for other publishers like MEG to do modules for.
Black Knight:

Here ya go... Answers!

1) Why sacrifice either? Dave, Dustin, myself, and the rest of the team have come up with a great way of seamlessly relating all the Blackmoor information. Save your "crunchy bits" for dog food and your "flavor" for morning tea, we're delivering a full-flavored d20 setting meal!

2) Sure, our inspiration comes from Dave's original Blackmoor and the modules and supplements that surround it. However, the vision and goal of this project is not only to bring you the old campaign, but to blaze new trails through the Blackmoor wilderness.

3) All of the support for this product will be 100% internal. As one of the writers on the Blackmoor project, I can honestly tell you that we have so much great material coming through that the first book can't fit it all! Modules, "splatbooks", and other material will keep Dave Arneson's Blackmoor setting alive and growing.

DClingman:
Joe has been following this press release around a number of boards... Jeff has it right. We are going to expand the world of Blackmoor while maintaining the core vision. Dave Arneson has done an immense amount of work in carefully crafting this book to be one of the best of the year.

Our future support is coming and will include splatbooks for the Afridhi and Peshwah as well as the Wizard's Cabal. Modules from 1st party as well as some celebrity writers. We will make sure the line has serious support.

I am really excited about the book and I can't wait to show it off at GenCon.

Dustin
www.zeitgeistgames.com

JoeGKushner:
I'm a fan of the old setting. I've even got the old four Blackmore D&D basic modules. Temple of the Frog anyone?

Will there be precopies at Gen Con? Might make me go up there after all. (Chicago boy who didn't mind the drive to Wis. at 90 minutes but five hours is another story.)

For splatbooks, are we talking regional books or more traditional books like "Blackmore Weapons" or Monsters, etc...

Henry:
Dustin, I hope you don't mind an off-topic question:

How has Dave been doing, health-wise, since his stroke last year? Tons of ill-founded rumors notwithstanding, I was curious as to his current well-being. While I correspond with Gary Gygax regularly, Dave is one individual who has always been difficult for me to manage correspondence with, and the well-being of both of these "gaming giants" I always like to periodically check on.

Sincerely,

Henry Link

DClingman:
There will indeed be precopies at GenCon. If you come, Dave and the crew can autograph them on the spot. Goodman Games is setting up a booth and we plan to be there most of the time.

The splatbooks will be somewhat regional, but will focus on the unique and interesting areas and races. To be honest, we have alot of ideas, but we always will listen to the ideas of fans. After all, fans are why we do that voodoo that we at least try to do so well.

As for Dave's health. His stroke was 2 years ago. He has fully recovered from his health problems. We just returned at the beginning of March from the Game Developers Conference where we gamed with a bunch of computer developer friends. Dave was spot on and everyone had a great time. At this point you should be able to reach him via email at dave@zeitgeistgames.com

Dustin
www.zeitgeistgames.com
Last edited by DClingman; 25th March 2003 at 06:24 PM..

Henry:
Thanks, Dustin! The info on www.castleblackmoor.com was waaaaaaaaaaay out of date when last I checked.

Black Knight:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranger REG
Okay, I have to ask. Will the product be focusing on the medieval fantasy setting of Blackmoor, or do we have options to play in different time settings (renaissance, colonialism, modern, futuristics) leading up to its destruction (post-holocaust)?

Blackmoor will have three eras of play: fantasy, "post-fantasy", and sci-fantasy. Each will be covered in full-flavored detail and go hand-in-hand with each other.

Quote:
Originally posted by trancejeremy
Are we going to see any modules, like for the City of the Gods, or the Temple of the Frog?

Many fans have been asking for Zeitgeist Games to produce a "Return to..." series of adventures based on the original four. I don't think any of you will be disappointed with the module line that will be coming down the pipe. But, right now we are focusing on giving you the best quality base campaign you have ever seen. We are also trying to build on the past success of Blackmoor by providing new ground-breaking material. So, "Return to..." may have you chomping at the bit for GenCon Indy this year, "Welcome to..." will knock the gnolls clear outta your garters!

Melan:

I have two questions:

The first is world maps. Will we get the same type of high quality maps as the ones from the Judges Guild era? I.e. numbered hexes, good paper, separate maps for the DM and the player?

The second... Do you plan to release the whole, unabridged Blackmoor dungeons? And if yes, when can I grab it?

Finally: fight on!

DClingman:

The map is certainly a high priority right now. I certainly loved the Judges Guild Map and I look at it all the time. Right now I don't imagine that there would be a pullout map from the Campaign Sourcebook, but there certainly could be in future works.

The actual map right now is in production and I may be able to post some screens of it as we get closer to the release date.

As for Blackmoor Dungeons, it's around and we are certainly considering it. We want to evaluate the response from the first book. Right now it's not specificilly on the list to publish but there is no reason we can't. I am sure people would love to see that hidden gem.

Dustin

Black Knight:

Quote:
Originally posted by bolen
What was published for this before. was this done by judges guild?

Quite a long time ago (OD&D and 1st Ed AD&D) Blackmoor made it's appearance. Judges Guild produced some quality stuff to support TSR's first ever campaign setting (Blackmoor), written by Dave Arneson.

The old TSR sourcebook and modules are:

TSR2004 - Supplement II: Blackmoor (1975)
TSR9172 - DA 1: Adventures in Blackmoor (1986)
TSR9175 - DA 2: Temple of the Frog (1986)
TSR9191 - DA 3: City of the Gods (1987)
TSR9205 - DA 4: The Duchy of Ten (1987)

There is a ton and a half of other products out there that mention it (I know Dustin has the entire list).

Bolen:
So it pre-dates the 1st edition players guide. I have the original grayhawk folder with maps. does it pre-date that and why did tsr switch to grayhawk?

DClingman:

Blackmoor definitely predates the Greyhawk releases, though I don't know when Gygax thought them up. I know that it was the Blackmoor campaign that served as a core influence of the game that was to become D&D.

I am not sure, but I would estimate that it was Mr. Gygax's say so for why the default world became Greyhawk. Alot of work has gone into GH and I personally like the world alot.

After saying that, Blackmoor was and remains, the First ever fantasy campaign.

Dustin

Knightfall:

D20 BLackmoor Yahoo Group
Hey Blackmoor fans,

Just thought I'd let you all know that I've created a D20 Blackmoor Yahoo Group for those that want to have discussions about the campaign setting, as more details become available.

I hope you'll join, as well, Dustin. I would be nice to have an official voice at the Group.

I expect the groups membership to swell as we come closer to the campaign sourcebooks release date.

Cheers!

KF72

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign