Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[Races] The Drakon’katha
I couldn't find a description of them in any of the MMRPG books, but Phil Slama told me that they are a race of four armed serpent men. The Drakon'Katha appear in episode 94 of the MMRPG.

In this thread Yaztromo writes:

Yaztromo Wrote:At page 3 of this Episode, in the introductory pages, we can read:
Quote:...the Drakon’katha, under the guise of a winter orc attack on the Dwarven capital, was successful in hijacking the prototype war machine (Episode 90: Rolling Thunder).
However, if you check the published adventures on this very section of this very website, Episode 90 is not titled "Rolling Thunder", but is instead "City of the Gods"!!! As far as I can see, there is no episode with that title!!!
I find it very strange having this odd reference in Episode 94 to a previous Episode that doesn't seem to exist! Confusedhock:

In fact I searched for Drakon’katha also in the other Episodes mentioned in Episode 94 Background and, for example, in Episode 85: World Without Sunshine there is no mention of Drakon’katha, etc.

Have you been able to find more information of the Drakon'katha? I assume they were meant to be one of the major threats coming out of the Dweomer Ream.

They remind me of the Yuan-Ti, so perhaps some ideas can be borrowed from that race, even though no Yuan-Ti variants have four arms AFAIK?

The fact that they are serpent men fits very well with some fan works such as James Mishler's Blackmoor Epic where the Serpentine Empire from the Southern Continent of Davania ended up becoming the main enemy of Blackmoor in the far future.

Does anyone have more ideas for this race?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:The fact that they are serpent men fits very well with some fan works such as James Mishler's Blackmoor Epic where the Serpentine Empire from the Southern Continent of Davania ended up becoming the main enemy of Blackmoor in the far future.
I didn't realise this! Well thought!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo Wrote:
Havard Wrote:The fact that they are serpent men fits very well with some fan works such as James Mishler's Blackmoor Epic where the Serpentine Empire from the Southern Continent of Davania ended up becoming the main enemy of Blackmoor in the far future.
I didn't realise this! Well thought!

Thanks!

I have no idea if this is intentional or just a coincidence, but I think that could be used to expand on the background of this race.

-Havard
Havard Wrote:I have no idea if this is intentional or just a coincidence
It doesn't really make any difference: this is how settings expand from fan speculation even long time after the official authors published them Wink
All detail that we know from Episode 94 is, fundamentally, the stat blocks written (in gibberish 3.5/d20 dialect) for an encounter with a Drakon’katha General and spelled across various possible ATLs in the Appendix:

Quote:Encounter #4
ATL 9
Drakkon’katha General Amanset: Medium Humanoid; CR 15; HD 4d8+24+9d4+54; hp 123(151 hp false life and greater heroism); Init +12; Spd 60 ft.; AC 29, touch 18, flat-footed 21 (+4 Dex, +4 Mage Armor, +4 Shield, +3 Natural Armor, +4 Mustang’s Speed [50% Miss chance]); Base Atk/Grp: +8/+7; Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft. Atk +11 claw (1d3-1, x2, slashing claw); Full Atk 4 claws +11 (1d3-1, x2, slashing claw) SA Spells, Twin Spell, Poison Use; SQ Summon familiar: (Zoodling), Darkvision 120ft, light-sensitivity, Double Speak, SR 28; AL CE; SV Fort +17, Ref +16, Will +15; Str 8, Dex 18, Con 22, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 25.
Skills & Feats: Bluff +15, Concentration +26 Escape Artist +16, Spellcraft +20. Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Great Fortitude, Spell Focus (Evocation), Greater Spell Focus (Evocation), Spell Focus (Transmutation), Greater Spell Focus(Transmutation).
Sorcerer Spells Known (Spells Per Day 5/6/5/6/6/7/4, save DC = 18 + spell level, 20 + spell level for evocation and transmutation spells): 0 – Daze, Elemental Globe(fire), Elemental Globe(acid), Elemental Globe(cold), Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Mending, Flare, Resistance. 1st – Ray of Enfeeblement, Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Shield, Grease. 2nd – Glitterdust, False Life, Mustang Speed, Bears Endurance. 3rd – Elemental Ball(Metal), Fireball, Fly, Displacement. 4th – Greater Invisibility, Enervation, Fire Shield, Phantasmal Killer. 5th- Baleful Polymorph, Cloudkill, Flesh to stone. 6th – Greater Heroism, Disintegrate.
Twin Spell (Ex): Due to the Drakkon’katha’s multiple limbs and its double speak ability they can cast two spells in a single round as a full round action. Should the creature be slowed or unable to take a full round action then it is also unable to use its twin spell ability. An individual who readies an action to disrupt spell casting or attempts to counter spell will only affect the first spell cast. The two spells cast while using this ability cannot be the same spell.
Double Speak (Ex): Due to the multiple vocal cords within the Drakkon’katha dual larynx’s they may speak seemingly from two sources at one time. This ability functions much like the ghost sound effect but also allows the Drakkon’katha to cast two spells per round as one voice is speaking the verbal components for one spell and the other voice is speaking the verbal components for the other.
Light Sensitivity (Ex): Drakkon’katha are immediately dazzled within the effects of a daylight spell. While in the presence of natural direct sunlight they are immediately shaken even if normally immune to fear and all magic spells they have cast or do cast while in the sunlight cease to function.
Skills: A Drakkon’katha has a +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Escape Artist checks.
Languages: Drakon, Undercommon
Possessions: Spell Component Pouch, Scroll of Programmed Image (CL 15th)
Spells Active: False Life(+15 temp hps) (CL 13th), Fly (CL 13th) Mage Armor (CL 13th).
Shield (CL 13th), Resistance (CL 13th), Mustang Speed (CL 13th), Bears Endurance (CL 13th), Displacement (CL 13th), Fire Shield (CL 13th), Greater Heroism (CL 13th), Freedom of Movement (CL 20th).
(4) Orc Adepts(Adept3): Medium Humanoid(Orc); CR 2; HD 3d6+9; hp 21; Init +2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex); BaseAtk/Grp:+1/+3; Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft. Atk None; SA Spells; SQ Summon Familiar, Darkvision 60ft, light-sensitivity; AL CE; SV Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +7; Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 6.
Skills & Feats: Concentration +8, Spellcraft +6; Feats. Toughness, Iron Will.
Adept Spells Prepared (3/3, save DC = 12 + spell level: 0– Cure Minor x2, Detect Magic. 1st – Lesser Restoration, Cure Light Wounds x2
Light Sensitivity (Ex): Orcs are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Languages: Undercommon, Orc.
Possessions: Censure, Robes.

ATL 11
Drakkon’katha General Amanset: Medium Humanoid; CR 17; HD 4d8+24+11d4+66; hp 140(170 hp false life and greater heroism); Init +12; Spd 60 ft.; AC 29, touch 18, flat-footed 21 (+4 Dex, +4 Mage Armor, +4 Shield, +3 Natural Armor, +4 Mustangs Speed [50% Miss chance]); Base Atk/Grp: +9/+8; Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft. Atk +12 claw (1d3-1, x2, slashing claw); Full Atk 4 claws +12 (1d3-1, x2, slashing claw) SA Spells, Twin Spell, Poison Use; SQ Summon familiar(zoodling), Darkvision 120ft, light-sensitivity, Double Speak, SR 30; AL CE; SV Fort +17, Ref +16, Will +18; Str 8, Dex 18, Con 22, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 25.
Skills & Feats: Bluff +15, Concentration +28 Escape Artist +16, Spellcraft +22. Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Great Fortitude, Spell Focus (Evocation), Greater Spell Focus (Evocation), Spell Focus (Transmutation), Greater Spell Focus(Transmutation), Iron Will.
Sorcerer Spells Known (Spells Per Day 5/6/5/6/6/7/6/4, save DC = 18 + spell level, 20 + spell level for evocation and transmutation spells): 0 – Daze, Elemental Globe(fire), Elemental Globe(acid), Elemental Globe(cold), Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Mending, Flare, Resistance. 1st – Ray of Enfeeblement, Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Shield, Grease. 2nd – Glitterdust, False Life, Mustang Speed, Bears Endurance. 3rd – Elemental Ball(Metal), Fireball, Fly, Displacement. 4th – Greater Invisibility, Enervation, Fire Shield, Phantasmal Killer. 5th- Baleful Polymorph, Cloudkill, Flesh to stone, Cone of Cold. 6th – Greater Heroism, Chain Lightning, Disintegrate 7th- Prismatic Spray, Statue.
Twin Spell (Ex): Due to the Drakkon’katha’s multiple limbs and its double speak ability they can cast two spells in a single round as a full round action. Should the creature be slowed or unable to take a full round action then it is also unable to use its twin spell ability. An individual who readies an action to disrupt spell casting or attempts to counter spell will only affect the first spell cast. The two spells cast while using this ability cannot be the same spell.
Double Speak (Ex): Due to the multiple vocal cords within the Drakkon’katha dual larynx’s they may speak seemingly from two sources at one time. This ability functions much like the ghost sound effect but also allows the Drakkon’katha to cast two spells per round as one voice is speaking the verbal components for one spell and the other voice is speaking the verbal components for the other.
Light Sensitivity (Ex): Drakkon’katha are immediately dazzled within the effects of a daylight spell. While in the presence of natural direct sunlight they are immediately shaken even if normally immune to fear and all magic spells they have cast or do cast while in the sunlight cease to function.
Skills: A Drakkon’katha has a +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Escape Artist checks. Languages: Drakon, Undercommon
Spells Active: False Life (+15 temp hp) (CL 15th), Fly (CL 13th) Mage Armor (CL 15th).
Shield (CL 15th), Resistance (CL 15th), Mustang Speed (CL 15th), Bears Endurance (CL 15th), Displacement (CL 15th), Fire Shield (CL 15th), Greater Heroism (CL 15th), Statue (CL 15th), Freedom of Movement (CL 20th).
(4) Orc Adepts(Adept3): Medium Humanoid(Orc); CR 2; HD 3d6+9; hp 21; Init +2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex); BaseAtk/Grp:+1/+3; Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft. Atk None; SA Spells; SQ Summon Familiar, Darkvision 60ft, light-sensitivity; AL CE; SV Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +7; Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 6.
Skills & Feats: Concentration +8, Spellcraft +6; Feats. Toughness, Iron Will.
Adept Spells Prepared (3/3, save DC = 12 + spell level: 0– Cure Minor x2, Detect Magic. 1st – Lesser Restoration, Cure Light Wounds x2
Light Sensitivity (Ex): Orcs are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Languages: Undercommon, Orc.
Possessions: Censure, Robes.

ATL 13
Drakkon’katha General Amanset(Sorc17): Medium Humanoid; CR 19; HD 4d8+24+13d4+78; hp 155(187 hp false life and greater heroism); Init +12; Spd 60 ft.; AC 29, touch 18, flat-footed 21 (+4 Dex, +4 Mage Armor, +4 Shield, +3 Natural Armor, +4 Mustangs Speed [50% Miss chance]); Base Atk/Grp: +10/+9; Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft. Atk +13 claw (1d3-1, x2, slashing claw); Full Atk 4 claws +13 (1d3-1, x2, slashing claw) SA Spells, Twin Spell, Poison Use; SQ Summon familiar(zoodling), Darkvision 120ft, light-sensitivity, Double Speak, SR 32; AL CE; SV Fort +18 (+25*), Ref +17(+24*), Will +19(+26*) * - versus spells or spell-like abilities; Str 8, Dex 18, Con 22, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 26.
Skills & Feats: Bluff +16, Concentration +30 Escape Artist +16, Spellcraft +24. Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Great Fortitude, Spell Focus (Evocation), Greater Spell Focus (Evocation), Spell Focus (Transmutation), Greater Spell Focus(Transmutation), Iron Will.
Sorcerer Spells Known (Spells Per Day 5/6/5/6/7/7/6/5/4, save DC = 19 + spell level, 21 + spell level for evocation and transmutation spells): 0 – Daze, Elemental Globe(fire), Elemental Globe(acid), Elemental Globe(cold), Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Mending, Flare, Resistance. 1st – Ray of Enfeeblement, Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Shield, Grease. 2nd – Glitterdust, False Life, Mustang Speed, Bears Endurance. 3rd – Elemental Ball(Metal), Fireball, Fly, Displacement. 4th – Greater Invisibility, Enervation, Fire Shield, Phantasmal Killer. 5th- Baleful Polymorph, Cloudkill, Flesh to stone, Cone of Cold. 6th – Greater Heroism, Chain Lightning, Disintegrate 7th- Prismatic Spray, Statue, Spell Turning. 8th- Horrid Wilting, Protection from Spells
Skills: A Drakkon’katha has a +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Escape Artist checks.
Languages: Drakon, Undercommon
Spells Active: False Life(+15 temp hp) (CL 17th), Fly (CL 17th) Mage Armor (CL 17th).
Shield (CL 17th), Resistance (CL 17th), Mustang Speed (CL 17th), Bears Endurance (CL 17th), Displacement (CL 17th), Fire Shield (CL 17th), Spell Turning (CL 17th), Protection from Spells (CL 17th), Greater Heroism (CL 17th), Statue (CL 17th), Freedom of Movement (CL 20th).

If you are patient enough to read through all the stat block technicalities, you can find quite a few good elements of description of the Drakon’katha race.
Thanks for doing this research for us Yaz! Smile

I wonder if these are a kind of combination of Lizardmen and Spell weavers?

At some point I guess I have to sit down and teach you the D&D 3E rules so that the stat blocks don't sound like gibberish to you anymore my friend! Wink

-Havard
Havard Wrote:At some point I guess I have to sit down and teach you the D&D 3E rules so that the stat blocks don't sound like gibberish to you anymore my friend! Wink
Maybe the next time I'll pass by Norway... :wink:
The new archeological find of the lost Episode 91 finally casts light on this issue! 8)

Admin Edit: Fixed link for you, -Havard
Yaztromo Wrote:The new archeological find of the lost Episode 91 finally casts light on this issue! 8)

Yeah, that was very helpful! Smile

-Havard
I think 91 should have a picture of them. Or we had a picture of them somewhere I remember...I think Greg drew it.

As to how we came up with them I can assure you we knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Davina or any of the serpentmen or stuff like that.

We basically sat down and were like, well who the hell is behind the Garthropods and is stirring things up down there. We needed something that could fill the hole of the Drow.

We needed them to be BADASS casters so we gave them two sets of arms so they could cast two spells a turn. This was intentional to show the players that they should not be messed with.