Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[Any Edition] A system based on the Wizard of the Woods
The Zeitgeist Games Blackmoor books introduced a lot of new cool concepts related to magic. We have the reimagined version of the Wizards Cabal, The Mage Wars, Spell Foci, The White Magic of Skelfer Ard, Elven Elementalism and more.

One thing they didn't really touch on most was perhaps the most interesting Wizard of the Woods (with appologies to Bob Meyer. Robert the Bald is pretty cool too 8) ).

The Zeitgeist Games Books are set in 1030, about 30 years after the end of Dave Arneson's Campaign. While it is established that Pete, the original Wizard of the Woods has perished (as detailed in the FFC), Sildonis has taken over and is now the Wizard of the Woods.

I think it would make sense that Pete and later Sildonis have been able to set up their own order of Wizards within the "Woods domain". Just like the Great Svenny should have been able to train a new generation of Paladins or Cavaliers.

POWERS
The Wizard of the Woods gets his powers from the Super Berry Woods and the Berries Maximum themselves. If you want a less tongue in cheek interpretation of this, I would say the powers are drawn from nature itself, and in particular certain groves where the magic of the Black Rock are chanelled with particular strength. The powers of the Wood Mages could be similar to that of Druids, being able to manipulate plants and maybe animals. Pete was all over the place with Fireballs, raising dragons etc, but perhaps his apprentices have had a more narrow approach since they are still learning while he was the master.

ALLIES
The Wizard of the Woods is known to command Pixies, Treants and probably other fey and woodland creatures. I would imagine he would be respected by the elves (being friends with Lord Menander Ithamis probably helps).

How to distinguish these from Druids? Would they be fun to play? Is this idea compatible with the ZGG verison of the Wizards Cabal? What other changes need to be done?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I'd keep it simple: "Wizard of the Woods" is just another name for the druid class.
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
An interesting note, the ZGG Blackmoor book notes that the Spell Foci for Evocation is the Emerald gem. A nice green gem that would fit perfectly on the staves and wands of a bunch of wizard wandering the trees.

I would run the Order of the Wood as a Mage's Circle of the Evocation school. Pete's Wizard, as Havard noted, was associated with charming things (dragons, pixies) and throwing fireballs. I would infer that the Circle emphasizes Evocation with banned schools in Necromancy and Conjuration. In this manner, the Wizards of the Wood can and are known for the following:

Evocation: Elemental magic of fire, ice, and lightning

Enchantment: Influencing hearts and inducing fear. Famously used to charm the fey as well as dragons.

Transmutation: Ability to take the shape of dragons or local fauna.
Havard Wrote:I think it would make sense that Pete and later Sildonis have been able to set up their own order of Wizards within the "Woods domain". Just like the Great Svenny should have been able to train a new generation of Paladins or Cavaliers.

Meh. Thing is Pete and Sildonis are depicted as pretty much hermits within these woods, and the woods themselves are extremely dangerous/deadly to most. I can see a possible apprentice or two but an entire order would be a significant departure from canon.

Havard Wrote:POWERS
The Wizard of the Woods gets his powers from the Super Berry Woods and the Berries Maximum themselves. If you want a less tongue in cheek interpretation of this, I would say the powers are drawn from nature itself, and in particular certain groves where the magic of the Black Rock are chanelled with particular strength. The powers of the Wood Mages could be similar to that of Druids, being able to manipulate plants and maybe animals. Pete was all over the place with Fireballs, raising dragons etc, but perhaps his apprentices have had a more narrow approach since they are still learning while he was the master.

The berries, I would say, are nothing especially special. Plant the seeds somewhere else and it will grow into a normal fruit bearing tree. However, what makes them special is their ability to absorb the magic inherent in the soil of Blackmoor and distill it into the juice of the fruit. The wizards wood is so magical because of the concentrations of the black soil there. IMHO

RobJN Wrote:I'd keep it simple: "Wizard of the Woods" is just another name for the druid class.

As you please of course, but druids in Blackmoor were of the Cleric class, which Pete certainly was not.
Aldarron Wrote:
Havard Wrote:I think it would make sense that Pete and later Sildonis have been able to set up their own order of Wizards within the "Woods domain". Just like the Great Svenny should have been able to train a new generation of Paladins or Cavaliers.

Meh. Thing is Pete and Sildonis are depicted as pretty much hermits within these woods, and the woods themselves are extremely dangerous/deadly to most. I can see a possible apprentice or two but an entire order would be a significant departure from canon.

Well, that is a fair opinion of course. I agree with you about both Pete and Sildonis being fairly isolationist figures. However, it is worth keeping in mind that the ZGG books and the DA series take place 55-60 years after the First Fantasy Campaign began. I guess my real motivation for this topic is that I would like to see the original Blackmoor characters have more of an impact on the setting. Their main legacy is to have established the independent kingdom of Blackmoor under King Uther of course, but it would be nice to see the characters have more of a signature impact on the later era setting.

Quote:The berries, I would say, are nothing especially special. Plant the seeds somewhere else and it will grow into a normal fruit bearing tree. However, what makes them special is their ability to absorb the magic inherent in the soil of Blackmoor and distill it into the juice of the fruit. The wizards wood is so magical because of the concentrations of the black soil there. IMHO

I agree with that. Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign