Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Old North Watch
In a discussion about Rodhinat The Piazza , we talked about the Old North Watch and I want to bring some of that part of the discussion over here.

Zeromaru X Wrote:
Yaztromo Wrote:In the MMRPG campaign, the Old North Watchtower is a place where dragons (rather then dragonborn) are known to dwell.

Do you know in which chapter do they mention this?

Yaztromo Wrote:From: Dave Arneson's Blackmoor, by Zeitgeist Games, 2004 Chapter 4: The Kingdom of Blackmoor, page 127"]Old North Watch (Outpost, population unknown)
In the past, the Old North Watch (then known simply as the North Watch) was an active guard post where a company of horsemen stood guard over trade between Blackmoor and Maus. Since Blackmoor’s unifi cation, the trade route has become substantially safer, although raiders still appear occasionally. Now long abandoned as a guard post, all sane creatures actively avoid the Old North Watch. Rumors hold that it is a frequent resting place of the mighty dragon Chamber, who is more affectionately called “Watchworks” in this region. For several decades, no one has entered the watch, explored it, and returned to tell a credible tale of their adventures.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Havard Wrote:Not just a Dragon, but a Dragon God Wink

I think some other sources suggest Chamber lives closer to Maus. One compromise is to give Chamber a vast dungeon lair covering large parts of the penisula between the Old Watchtower and Maus... You could still have Dragonborn or other creatures be found above ground?

Zeromaru X Wrote:
Yaztromo Wrote:From: Dave Arneson's Blackmoor, by Zeitgeist Games, 2004
Chapter 4: The Kingdom of Blackmoor, page 127

Thanks. I was confused, searching in the modules from the living campaing.

Havard Wrote:Not just a Dragon, but a Dragon God Wink

I think some other sources suggest Chamber lives closer to Maus.

His god entry says he lives outside of Maus.

Havard Wrote:You could still have Dragonborn or other creatures be found above ground?

I guess, yes. Perhaps some secretive cult...

Is there any source that expands in the lore of the Old North Watch?

Yaztromo Wrote:
Zeromaru X Wrote:Is there any source that expands in the lore of the Old North Watch?

Arguably, at page 114 of the same book...
Quote:The Haven Peaks
To the south of the Barony of Maus lies the Haven Peaks. These mountains are rumored to have once contained a great dragon’s lair. The only current inhabitants are renegade dwarves who keep to themselves

If you want to go out of canon, as part of Blackmoor Living World campaign there is an adventures arc called The Long Vigil that touches these themes but, so far, only the first adventure of this adventures arc has been published and in this specific adventure there is not much, strictly speaking, about the Old North Watch and the dragons.

The Old North Watch is described in DA1 Adventures of Blackmor page 45. Located on the Raider Road, it was once a stronghold of 50 on top of a high cliff on the North Coast. Their job was to watch for Skandaharian Raiders. The Keep has long since fallen and are now ruins. According to DA1, it has housed a number of monsters over the years, but is currently (Year 1025) the lair of the Green Man. The Green Man is the leader of the Wizards Cabal, but in DA1, the Wizards Cabal were an evil underground organization working to overthrow Uther, while in the 3E/4E books it was retconned into becoming the main organization of Wizards in the setting. I suggest finding a new role for the Green Man too and he could easily have picked another lair for his plans.

Few travel along the Raider Road. In the FFC, two locations are mentioned notheast of Blackmoor: Wolf's Head Pass and Svenny's Freehold. I think both are located between Blackmoor and the Old North Watch. Wolf's Head Pass marks the end of civilization in that direction.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign