Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Dragons of Blackmoor
Hyrieus Wrote:Are you sure Purple Dragons are mean't to be Purple Worms, I'm taking them from the Dragon list on page 61 of the revised First Fantasy Campaign, I know that's the Snider section and part of the Father of Dragons bit.
Yep, the terms get used interchangeable in the pre D&D eral,

Hyrieus Wrote:The dragon breeding part does get me thinking, what with Uther as King in the North, the Peshwah nomads, and Tosca Russ (Bride of Fire and Ice), presumably seizing the dragon farms in the invasion of Ten, it has some interesting hints of Game of Thrones.

I like your thinking. It just one more example of how rich with ideas Blackmoor is.
Hi again.

I was reading the timeline, and I found this gem:
Aldarron Wrote:Expedition to city of Father Dragon. They drop a rock on the evil device, freeing dragons from enchanted sleep.

Is there any explanation of why this happened in official products? And since when? This can really help me for some idea I have for my campaign.
Zeromaru X Wrote:Hi again.

I was reading the timeline, and I found this gem:
Aldarron Wrote:Expedition to city of Father Dragon. They drop a rock on the evil device, freeing dragons from enchanted sleep.

Is there any explanation of why this happened in official products? And since when? This can really help me for some idea I have for my campaign.

The City of Father Dragon adventure is briefly mentioned in the First Fantasy Campaign (1977). The heroes managed to destroy an artifact that kept the Good dragons in a state of magical sleep. I believe this was an artifact that was similar to the Orb of Dragonkind, perhaps a precursor to that magical item. I don't know who had placed the dragons in this position, but the city is guarded by Balrogs (Demons), so possibly a demon lord or a powerful dark wizard. The adventure sounds failry epic so I would assume it occurred fairly late in Dave Arneson's original 5 year run of his campaign. Many PCs were killed while exploring the Valley of the Ancients so it is possible that it took place before that.

Father Dragon is revisited in the D20 Blackmoor material where he is known as Insellageth.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Talking about the Father of Dragons, is there any info about Bahamut and Tiamat in Blackmoor? I know they exist since the earlier incarnations of D&D (the original Greyhawk supplement name then the Dragon King - aka Platinum Dragon - and the Dragon Queen -the Chaotic Dragon, but is obviously Tiamat).

I'm interested to know if Dave Arneson incoporated them in some form in the original depiction of Blackmoor.

My players are making their own theories, and I want to know if there is any canon information to supplement them.
Zeromaru X Wrote:Talking about the Father of Dragons, is there any info about Bahamut and Tiamat in Blackmoor? I know they exist since the earlier incarnations of D&D (the original Greyhawk supplement name then the Dragon King - aka Platinum Dragon - and the Dragon Queen -the Chaotic Dragon, but is obviously Tiamat).

I'm interested to know if Dave Arneson incoporated them in some form in the original depiction of Blackmoor.

My players are making their own theories, and I want to know if there is any canon information to supplement them.

Indeed, OD&D did describe the Dragon King (Platinum) and the Dragon Queen (Many Colors). In Greyhawk, these became Bahamut and Tiamat. In Dragonlance, they became Paladine and Takhisis. Greyawk later had Io as the father of Bahamut as well as other Dragon Gods.

In BECMI (and Mystara), there were instead the Great One Dragon (all dragons) and his servants the Diamod /Star Dragon (Law), Moon/Pearl (Chaos) and Opal/Sun (Neutral).

I think Dave Arneson mostly had his own mythology for Dragons.

Father Dragon/Insellageth is either the representative of Bahamut or he could be Io. Chamber/Watchworks (Although male) seems to replace the Dragon Queen/Takhisis/The Pearl Dragon, while Gertie/Tsartha replaces the Neutral Dragon Lord.

Or you could simply use Bahamut and Tiamat as other offspring of Father Dragon?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Well, my players' theory is the opposite. In the second 4e Draconomicon, there is this lore about Bahamut being known as the Grandfather of Dragons because he has a son who is the true father of metallic dragonkind. This son of Bahamut has the power to kill his father and because of that Tiamat is searching for him to try to sway him to her side. The thing about Bahamut's son is that no one knows his name or whereabouts, that's why Tiamat has never been able to find him.

My players believe that, as Insellageth is the "Father of Dragons" (and a gold dragon, to boot), that means he is Bahamut's son.