Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Blacmoor Village during the Mage wars
Hey all. Thought I would ask you all for some creative input. Asi I've mentioned, my campaign is set during the middle of the mage war period. It seems likely my players are going to make their way to Blackmoor dungeon soon. I imagine the castle to be abandoned and in ruins and the dungeon to be naturally teaming with baddies. The town falls well within the Dominion of Raddai.

Under the circumstances of the time, I think the town would be largely but not completely abandoned. Those remaining are likely to be some hardscrabble folk of dubious character. I think there should be some kind of inn and a place where an old elf (perhaps the gatekeepr character from DoCB) lives and keeps watch on the dungeon.

Any ideas you guys have are welcome. Feel free to detail some place or personality or even suggest off the shelf products that would plug and play.
In theory when the Spire is on a low, the Egg should have a high.
I'd expect having important water infiltrations in the dungeon and lots of waterborn unwhole creatures such as fish-folk or other mix-ups of lovecraftian inspiration creeping up from deep down (as the Egg recalls under many points of view lovecraftian creatures as well).
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Thanks Yaz, that's an interesting, and creepy, idea. However, my campaign is Mage wars era, so it is pre egg of coot. He doesn't exist yet and what will be his realm is currently ruled by the Red Coven IMC Any ideas of about the town?
:oops:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Interesting topic. Its been a while since I was working on this so I will have to dig out some old notes. I think in my version I had Raddan Goss use Blackmoor as his capital. I forget if you were working under a different premise? Smile

I think the Comeback Inn could easily be around, even if it is constructed later Confusedhock:

I expect several other buildings would also be around such as the Church (Temple).

More later. Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Interesting topic. Its been a while since I was working on this so I will have to dig out some old notes. I think in my version I had Raddan Goss use Blackmoor as his capital. I forget if you were working under a different premise? Smile

I think the Comeback Inn could easily be around, even if it is constructed later Confusedhock:

I expect several other buildings would also be around such as the Church (Temple).

More later. Smile

-Havard

Looking forward to your thoughts. Goss's capital seems something of a mystery, but IIRC his fortress was supposed to be in some pocket dimension. Assuming that was the case there still must have been a gate somewhere.
Aldarron Wrote:Looking forward to your thoughts. Goss's capital seems something of a mystery, but IIRC his fortress was supposed to be in some pocket dimension. Assuming that was the case there still must have been a gate somewhere.

Interesting! Are there specific references to a pocket dimension fortress? So many things about the Mage Wars was left vague by the authors. I like that idea though. I think a lost pocket dimension fortress would be an awesome adventure location. Maybe it can be accessed from multiple locations, as long as you have the key? Smile

-Havard
I think my reasoning was that Blackmoor Castle would always have been a key location in the North. This has to do with whatever those Sar-Aiugu did when they performed those primitive dark rituals on the rocks of Blackmoor milennia ago. And magic users would be even more attracted to that location. So if Goss did not control Blackmoor, that would have been a goal for him.

IMC I had:
Mage Wars Timeline Wrote:Year 815: Raddan Goss becomes the ruler of Blackmoor. Learning of Dolmut’s secrets, he begins using his magic to expand his territory, destroying a handful of mages ruling neighbouring lands. (Glendower, areas south of Blackmoor?) His actions enrage Duchy of the Peaks ruler Surrinya Vadaley. The Mage Wars begin.

The above is based in information from The Wizards Cabal, but I connected the the Mage War characters to specific locations, such as Vadaley being connected to the Peaks. I also made the Vadaley's leaders of the Red Coven and Dolmut (Kargas) became another name of Pissaic, from the FFC.

One idea for the village itself could be that there could be more remnants of Dolmut's work in the village back then.

-Havard