Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Retconning the Blackmoor vs. Nazis scenarios to Time Travel?
I don't know how much thought Dave Arneson's gaming group put into these scenarios, but there were several of them where they wanted to try out their Blackmoor characters against WWII type opponents and possibly opponents from other eras as well.

I have assumed that these were seen as visits to other dimensions, but what if we retconned them into being time travel scenarios on the planet of Blackmoor instead? Dave Arneson described some of their opponents as Nazis, but could we reimagine them to be Thonian fascists from the future? How would this fit into established fan timelines?

How many examples do we have of original campaign characters travelling to places which could be interpreted as different places in time?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:I don't know how much thought Dave Arneson's gaming group put into these scenarios, but there were several of them where they wanted to try out their Blackmoor characters against WWII type opponents and possibly opponents from other eras as well.

I have assumed that these were seen as visits to other dimensions, but what if we retconned them into being time travel scenarios on the planet of Blackmoor instead? Dave Arneson described some of their opponents as Nazis, but could we reimagine them to be Thonian fascists from the future? How would this fit into established fan timelines?

How many examples do we have of original campaign characters travelling to places which could be interpreted as different places in time?

-Havard

Don't overthink it, in terms of what we did all those years ago...

This was a pretty typical thing to do for a game; see also "Stormgeschutz and Sorcery", by Mr. Gygax. We used to do this sort of thing all the time; see also my games were all sorts of Blackmoor/Greyhawk/Tekumel PCs were visiting Hos-Hostigos and that nice Lord Kalvin fellow. These were usullly one-off games when we got bored, and we not really considered part of any 'time line' or 'future history' that knew of. If we had the figures for it, we played it, and cross-matched everything with everything else. See also my platoon of Space Marines having to deal with Mike Mornard's English men at arms - and not doing very well, either!

On the other hand, if you did this in a game, I'd be the first one to cheer you on! Smile