Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Dungeon Unleashed!
So . . . Dave Arneson Game Day made me do it. . .

I wrote a hack of my Simple Superheroes engine repurposed for classic dungeon delving. I spent a good chunk of the Friday September 30th writing it, and "polished" it off this morning. It had been brewing in the back of my head all Blackmoor week, particularly as I read Champions of Zed. Seriously, it's been a challenge to sleep all week Smile

Another important catalyst was a conversation I had at a convention with and attendee who picked up Simple Superheroes after playing in my session. He wanted to run a fantasy hack for his 6 year old. And he's already done so!

You can grab the 5 page Dungeon Unleashed PDF here.

I will happily talk about it more ad nauseum if there is interest.
Designer | Simple Superheroes: The RPG of Infinite Powers and Possibilities | is now in Print!
http://www.ComposeDreamGames.com
Wow!
It is awesome that Dave Arneson Game Day lead to such creativity! Thank you so much for sharing that here Thondor!

I have downloaded the free PDF. I have only had time for a quick look, but so far I can say that it looks really good!

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Wow!
It is awesome that Dave Arneson Game Day lead to such creativity! Thank you so much for sharing that here Thondor!

I have downloaded the free PDF. I have only had time for a quick look, but so far I can say that it looks really good!

-Havard

Glad that you like what you've seen so far. It was very inspiring week.

If you or anyone else wants to make sure they stay abreast of any developments, they may wish to get a copy of the pdf (for free) through the CDG Marketplace. This lets me easily update folks who have got it that way.

As I said, happy to discuss at length.

It is very alpha. For instance:

I really like how multiple foes stack up when they are weak combatants, i.e. each goblin adds a die to the total attack. But I am not so sure skilled opponents should get the full value. If your warrior gets surrounded by 3 ogres who each have 4-Greatclub[O], that would be 12 dice coming at your hero. Which seems a little insane.

Perhaps a modification like "Each attacker after the first may add their attack dice into the pool, removing one die/rank for each combatant beyond the first. Each combatant always adds a minimum of 1 die,"
Clarifying example:

You have a pack off orcs with greataxes, each has 2-Greataxe [O].
If one orc attacks your hero he rolls 2 dice
If two orcs attack your hero they roll 3 dice (2 + 2 -1 for the additional combatant)
If three orcs attack your hero they roll 4 dice (2 + 2 + 2 -2 for the two additional combatants)
etc
A goblin joining the fray with 1-spiky weapon [O], still adds a die, because an extra combatant always contributes at least a die.

This means that those three Ogres with 4-Greatclub[O] would instead have "only" 10 dice. Of course that is still is a huge number of dice. Now it's my opinion that wandering into the middle of a group of ogres all by yourself should be extremely dangerous. So maybe this is about right, particularly if one of the Ogres has only 3-Greatclub[O] (because he is also good at tossing these 2-big ass javelins [O]), so that is now "only" 9 dice.
Designer | Simple Superheroes: The RPG of Infinite Powers and Possibilities | is now in Print!
http://www.ComposeDreamGames.com