Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[Dave Arneson Day] Dave Arneson Documentary Trailer Revealed
Thanks for providing this information gentlemen! Smile

Do any of you recall any details from the game? Was it a classic Dungeon Crawl? In Castle Blackmoor? Or something else?

Did people use their original characters or new ones?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
robertthebald Wrote:We had so much fun that a couple of the film makers also joined as people had to leave because it was so late.

Bob,
great to see you here again! Smile
Do you have any details from the game you would like to share with us?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Hi Havard,
The game was an expansion of the game I ran in 2009. I had no time to prepare for that first game, so I made it up as we played. The game was a success, as I wanted to recreate what it was like for us as we first started playing Blackmoor. I had more time to prepare for the present game, and over the years considered what I could do to expand on it.
The game was an adventure to retake the castle of Blackmoor from some orcs and trolls who were infesting the castle after the collapse of the kingdom.
I added magic, and assigned roles to particular people. The rest I kept as simple as possible.
I also added something else to make this more fun for everyone, and give them a feeling of actually existing in another world. I told everyone that they could have one special skill or ability that they came up with themselves.
One player selected super strength. Another chose the ability to detect monsters. One interesting skill selected was the ability to read and interpret legal documents (this person is a lawyer in our world). I managed to come up with something that allowed him to use that skill on this adventure.
The rules were in my head, with some notes as aids for me to reference.
This recreated the feel of Blackmoor as we first encountered it.
We only made it halfway through the adventure, with our heroes trapped halfway up the tower and the creatures waking up and becoming aware of their presence.
I want to continue this next year at the time that David always had the annual Blackmoor game, which was around the anniversary of the first game(May 22).
We shall see.
Bob
robertthebald Wrote:Hi Havard,
The game was an expansion of the game I ran in 2009. I had no time to prepare for that first game, so I made it up as we played. The game was a success, as I wanted to recreate what it was like for us as we first started playing Blackmoor. I had more time to prepare for the present game, and over the years considered what I could do to expand on it.
The game was an adventure to retake the castle of Blackmoor from some orcs and trolls who were infesting the castle after the collapse of the kingdom.
I added magic, and assigned roles to particular people. The rest I kept as simple as possible.
I also added something else to make this more fun for everyone, and give them a feeling of actually existing in another world. I told everyone that they could have one special skill or ability that they came up with themselves.
One player selected super strength. Another chose the ability to detect monsters. One interesting skill selected was the ability to read and interpret legal documents (this person is a lawyer in our world). I managed to come up with something that allowed him to use that skill on this adventure.
The rules were in my head, with some notes as aids for me to reference.
This recreated the feel of Blackmoor as we first encountered it.
We only made it halfway through the adventure, with our heroes trapped halfway up the tower and the creatures waking up and becoming aware of their presence.
I want to continue this next year at the time that David always had the annual Blackmoor game, which was around the anniversary of the first game(May 22).
We shall see.
Bob

That's fascinating. For the adventure, did you use the Blackmoor castle maps that are in Arneson's First Fantasy Campaign Book? Did you have a key written out with what monsters and treasures are in each room or was it all off the top of your head?