Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Marvel's Temple of the Toad?
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/toadgodch.htm#temple

Chamber of Chill's #3 came out in 1973. Did Dave Arneson read this Marvel comic or is it a tale of parallell creations?

In any case, there is a bunch of stuff we can borrow here for our Blackmoor campaigns!

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Nice one!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
I can't say if Dave read this or not, but the story I've heard is that the Temple of the Frog was inspired by a large frog-shaped planter that was around Dave's house. Doesn't mean that he didn't see the comic, but it does seem to indicate that the adventure was at least partly inspired by other things.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
finarvyn Wrote:I can't say if Dave read this or not, but the story I've heard is that the Temple of the Frog was inspired by a large frog-shaped planter that was around Dave's house. Doesn't mean that he didn't see the comic, but it does seem to indicate that the adventure was at least partly inspired by other things.

Yes, that story is preserved somewhere here in the forum as related by Greg and Bob if I recall. More likely both Marvel and Dave were inspired by Clark Ashton-Smith's Tsathoggua. On the other hand, Dave's Temple of the Frog has a really big twist with the backstory of St. Stephen that is fairly unique.

But also the garden frog thing.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign