Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Elven Culture
What is known about elven culture? I'm collecting some facts from the published material. This elven Timeline collects some of my information.

First Fantasy Campaign
  • Various players played the Elven Prince. Presumably different princes.
  • Ringlo Hall as capital of the Elven Realm.
  • Elves are instrumental in driving the Egg of Coot out of Blackmoor
  • Elves use magical water hoses to defeat undead
  • Pixies listed as allies of the Wizard of the Woods.

DA Modules and BECMI/RC Era
  • Elven prince named Menander Ithamis
  • Elven race referred to as Genander clan.
  • Elven race created by Ordana.
  • Faunus presented as other patron of nature
  • Elves live sheltered by Fairies untill about a thousand years before the Blackmoor era. See elves as a young race thread.
  • Fairies driven out of Thonia settle near Blackmoor.
  • Western Elves struggle with Blight of their woods.

D20 Era
  • Elven Cumasti/Westryn split expanded upon. Westryn probably based on Dave Arneson's Hunter Elves.
  • Elven Realms expanded.
  • Gen'Ri: A secret spy organization of the elves.
  • Ordo Elementarum: An organization of elven and human elementalists who hate technology.
  • Raddam Goss
  • Elven Elementalists
  • Elven Pantheon includes Ordana and Faunus, but also Elemental Gods.

What else is known of elven society in Blackmoor?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Off ye old top of me pate:

In FFC Blackmoor, elves were tech savy - hence the fire hoses thing.

Wesely played a "half-Elf" a few times and he told me that elves were freely sexually promiscuous in nature, but looked down on cross species offspring. Any Half elf born would be immediately given to the non elven parent to raise.

Wesely also related a story where the object of the adventure was to rescue an elven princess name "Lotsa" from Blackmoor dungeon. The reward for doing so was Lotsa's hand in "marraige" for one day.

Also there's a fair amount of info on elves in Arnesons "izmer" write up.
Aldarron Wrote:Off ye old top of me pate:

In FFC Blackmoor, elves were tech savy - hence the fire hoses thing.

I never liked how the d20 Blackmoor made the mechanical horse an elven creation, but I guess you are right that there is a precedence for that. Of course, FFC Blackmoor has tech all over the place, but at least this shows that elves aren't more averse to technology than humans or dwarves.

Quote:Wesely played a "half-Elf" a few times and he told me that elves were freely sexually promiscuous in nature, but looked down on cross species offspring. Any Half elf born would be immediately given to the non elven parent to raise.

Wesely also related a story where the object of the adventure was to rescue an elven princess name "Lotsa" from Blackmoor dungeon. The reward for doing so was Lotsa's hand in "marraige" for one day.

This is brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing.
Puns aside, I think it is really interesting to hear this first reference to a named elven princess. The attitude towards half-elves is also interesting. Half-elves are also a topic in the d20 DAB sourcebook, but IIRC this negative attitude from the elven family is not mentioned. This ties in a bit to the Gyrandirum Goss thread since Raddam Goss was a half-elf who clearly used the name of his elven parents. We don't know whether that was accepted by them or not of course.

Quote:Also there's a fair amount of info on elves in Arnesons "izmer" write up.

Yeah, worth looking into more. He specifically compared those elves to the Westryn IIRC.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign