Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[WFI Repost] Corruption of the Wizards Cabal
http://wayfarer.myfreeforum.org/viewtop ... f=40&t=313

Havard:
Hey,
I am planning on eventually using a variant of the plot from DA1 where agents of the Wizards Cabal kidnap the king. The problem is that the current Cabal isn't evil. Now, Im thinking, what if it is slowly getting corrupted, having the good forces within the Cabal being driven out, leaving an utterly evil organization around with influence in every court in Blackmoor? Any ideas for how to incorporate this in a campaign mainly dealing with the war against the Afridhi? Smile

Havard:

Okay, here are some thoughts:

* The Wizard's Cabal made a deal with Uther. Every nobleman in Blackmoor has a Court Wizard from the Cabal. This deal serves both groups: The Cabal provides the nobility with all the arcane services a nobleman could ever desire, but at the same time they get a heavy influence within the courts. The Wizards are even privy to many of the innermost secrets of the nobility and this is before taking into account the chance of unauthorized mind scanning magic used on employers. The influences of the Cabal also extend to other groups like powerful merchant houses and even some mercenary bands.

* The Cabal Inquisition not only hunts down Sorcerers, but also has an internal branch which can be used to control the members of the Cabal itself. I'm thinking of portraying them like the Babylon 5 Psi Cops.

* People like Sildonis, the Fetch and Robert the Bald are good-hearted people, trying to make sure the Cabal remains a good organization serving the interests of Blackmoor, but other forces are working against them, which is why Robert the Bald has generally isolated himself from the Cabal working on his own.

* The Church of Blackmoor is the major check against the Cabal as it denies them monopoly of magic. Not sure how this would play in. Also not sure how much I would want a Cleric vs. Mage situation. The fact that many of Blackmoor's enemies are religious fanatics might weaken the positicion of the Church. (Though it could also strengthen it).

* The Egg of Coot might easily be behind the corruption of the Cabal. Wizards are likely to become fascinated with the technologies possessed by the Egg.

Raskal:

think that it's the best choice : Cabal is organize to promote internal conflictd, and struggle for power.

Imagine that some Cabal members thinks that the King becomes upset by actions of the Cabal against innocent sorcerers (if innocent sorcerers can exist Big Grin ) and want change this thing.....

Rafael:
Never even touched the WC in my games. -They're surely there, but way away from the focus of my campaigns... [smilie=pdt_aliboronz_23.gif]

Quote:raskal wrote:
I think that it's the best choice : Cabal is organize to promote internal conflictd, and struggle for power.

Yeah, you are right. It is only the natural next step to make the conflicts spread from being internal to influencing Blackmoor as a whole.

Quote:Quote:
Imagine that some Cabal members thinks that the King becomes upset by actions of the Cabal against innocent sorcerers (if innocent sorcerers can exist Big Grin ) and want change this thing.....

I could certainly see good forces within the Cabal, especially if some of the PCs are members, but I am interested in taking it to a very dark place, slowly becoming a puppet for the Egg. There could be redemption for the Cabal at a later stage however once Uther & Co take charge.

Havard:
Quote:Never even touched the WC in my games. -They're surely there, but way away from the focus of my campaigns... [smilie=pdt_aliboronz_23.gif]

Same with me. But I feel that such a central element seemed unexploited. Also, having the Cabal go bad, at least temporarily would allow for me to use the modified plot from DA1 (Kidnapping of Uther).

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign