Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Sirinda's Balm
This is mentioned in DA1. It is even given a value in Blackmoor. This seems to suggest it was known in the time of Uther. Does any canonical source explain who Sirinda was? Am I missing something obvious?
Hey Jacobite!

Welcome to the Comeback Inn! If you have the time, feel free to introduce yourself to the rest of the bunch in our Hello Thread. Smile

Jacobite Wrote:This is mentioned in DA1. It even given a value in Blackmoor. This seems to suggest it was known in the time of Uther. Doez any canonical source explain who Sirinda was? Am I missing something obvious?

Wow, that is a great find! Do you have a page number for it? Cannot say this rings a bell, but I will definitely look into it. I love tidbits like this!

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
It is mentioned on on page 24. Check it out.
Jacobite Wrote:It is mentioned on on page 24. Check it out.

Found it, thanks!

So this Balm later became falsely rumoured to be a source of eternal life. Sirinda sounds like a Thai female name to me. There isn't really any culture like that near Blackmoor. Maybe Peshwa? I could see Sirinda being a Peshwa shaman who came up with the recipe for the Balm. Or maybe even a godess of beauty since the Balm is probably some kind of beauty ointment....?

I love how the DA modules are just filled with little tidbits and details. I suspect that many of these were taken from Arneson's notes and Ritchie just found ways to include them, but some of them could be Ritchie's inventions too obviously.

-Havard
Google turns up an Elf by that name in the Schwarze Auge RPG, but it looks like the reference post-dates DA1. Interesting, none the less. Are any Blackmoor Elf tribes vaguely Thai?
Jacobite Wrote:Google turns up an Elf by that name in the Schwarze Auge RPG, but it looks like the reference post-dates DA1. Interesting, none the less. Are any Blackmoor Elf tribes vaguely Thai?

I would not say their culture would be similar to Thai, but Sirinda could certainly fit as an elven name. That is not bad actually. Probably she could have been an elven apothecary/herbalist from the Redwoods?

It is pretty interesting that this balm is something that would survive in legends milennia after the destruction of Blackmoor. Perhaps someone discovered this old recipe and put it into mass production during the time when Blackmoor was at its peak? Would be something that could be inserted into RobJN's campaign for sure. Heck with the longevity of elves, perhaps Sirinda's daughter or son would even have lived to see the Great Rain of Fire, if Sirinda was a contemporary of Uther...

-Havard
Havard Wrote:It is pretty interesting that this balm is something that would survive in legends milennia after the destruction of Blackmoor. Perhaps someone discovered this old recipe and put it into mass production during the time when Blackmoor was at its peak? Would be something that could be inserted into RobJN's campaign for sure. Heck with the longevity of elves, perhaps Sirinda's daughter or son would even have lived to see the Great Rain of Fire, if Sirinda was a contemporary of Uther...

-Havard
More than likely this was something Leansethar picked up in her travels. The mistaken belief that it stopped the user from aging was taken out of context when a drunken lord asked Leah her age one Kissing Day, and she (truthfully) told him (42), and then attributed her not looking a day over ten-and-six to regular use of the balm nightly before bed. The nobleman's wife promptly ordered several cases of the stuff, and... well, you know how fads go among the nobility :roll:
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
Havard Wrote:...Sirinda could certainly fit as an elven name. That is not bad actually. Probably she could have been an elven apothecary/herbalist from the Redwoods?

This is what I am running with.