Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[WFI Repost] Outdoor Survial Map
http://wayfarer.myfreeforum.org/viewtop ... f=40&t=232

robertsconley:
Found a scan of the Outdoor survival map at

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?a ... ntid=29403

So where did you old-timers enter the map in at? And who owned what?

[Image: 29403-did-anyone-name-kingdom-depicted-map-pic58078.jpg]

Enjoy
Rob Conley

Robertsconley:

looked at the rules here

http://www.gameroom.com/gamebits/RULES/ ... Rules.html

The represents 13,200 sq miles. The best figure I get for the hexes is 3 miles per hex.

Rob Conley

Gsvenson:

I have not seen it in over 30 years. Right now, I don't remember. Give me a little time and I may remember.

Havard:

Interestingly, this map actually reveals some areas in the south that were not even detailed in the DA series, and certainly the map details a large portion not featured on the ZGG or FFC maps... Big Grin

Rafael:
Ready to make a map for Thonia out of it? Smile

Lately, I have become very interested in the Thonian Rand, depicted on the Maps in DA4. I'll check how the maps fit together... Smile

Robertsconley:
I don't much in the way of access to Thonia material. If people are interested, I can squeeze in the time to make a wilderlands style map out of the scan with the substitutions suggested by the original white box rules (I have a copy).

Rob Conley

Robertsconley:
Here is a preliminary result. I need to do some more proofing and clean up but you can see the basics.

I decided to christen it Southland the original outdoor map.

The diamond are lairs
The square are towns
The circles are castles/keeps

Enjoy
Rob Conley

http://home.earthlink.net/~wilderlands/southlandsm.jpg

[Image: southlandsm.jpg]

Rafael:

Wow, Rob, that looks awesome! :-D

What about developing this map a bit further? - As I keep looking at it, thousands of ideas for cities, cottages and dungeons flood into my mind!

Rob, would you be interested in such a project? - We could do a WL Box-like chapter for The Southlands as well. If everyone details, say, 5 to 10 hexes,
that will be enough to fill some pages. Nothing big or profitable at all, but maybe enough for a PDF module?

I've been thinking for a while where this "Wayfarer's Inn" - which is not identical with the one in the CSIO - could be located. Maybe we can set it there? Smile

We also have Mr Bledsaw's permission to use artwork from the classical modules, so this could become very cool if this works out. Smile

Sorry to assault you like this with my spontaneous ideas... :oops:

Robertsconley:

Rafael wrote:
Wow, Rob, that looks awesome! :-D
Rob, would you be interested in such a project? - We could do a WL Box-like chapter for The Southlands as well. If everyone details, say, 5 to 10 hexes,
that will be enough to fill some pages. Nothing big or profitable at all, but maybe enough for a PDF module?

First of all I am interested in developing southland. However I my priority is to get some stuff done for Goodman and Judges Guild first. So I am not really free until the middle of July.

With that being said, I have a bunch of random thoughts on the subjects

Make not just one but three products, OSRIC, Castles and Castles, and D20. Each similar but each taking advantage of their respective systems. It would be a little more work in the short term but make Southlands more popular.

It need to change it to 5 miles per hex, I re-read book 3 and it is 5 miles per hex.

There is a small section in First Fantasy Campaign about what happened in southland, don't copy it directly but play homage to it in our background.

Generate stuff semi random method based on the Book 3 method. Adapt Book 3's wilderness encounter chart. This will result in a more limited selection of monster but it seems to me the point of the exercise is to make Southland with the feel of the original time. I feel that means using the original monster selection (all the ones that are OGL anyway).

Background ground suggestions

The castle in the middle of the swamps is the main fortress of the 'bad guys'. I dub it Molgor and it is home of the Twin Overlord, two undead necromancers of great power.

The town in 1917 is Bulwark and is located in the 5 mile wide Dead Orc Pass. It protects the lands of weal to the northeast from the lands of woe to the southwest.

2308 is the home of the Khinzu Dwarves the main stronghold of the dwarven race. Two mighty citadel (one north and one south) protect the entrance to their mighty realm.

That are my thoughts for now. I will post more later. Suggestions welcomed of course.

Back to slaving on the Dark Tower!

Enjoy
Rob Conley

Rafael:
I had made this up so far:

1922 The Wayfarer's Inn

3904 Halfling Cattle Ranch

3209 Haunted Ferry Station

0607 Abandoned Dragon's Lair

1014 KEEP: Monastic Order of Wotan (Odin); DUNGEON: Moor Graveyard of the Monks - Haunted

1132 Troll Family - living under the remains of an old bridge

0317 Abandoned Hill Dwarf settlement - supposedly haunted

0205 Viking Grave in the earth - marked with the fallen soldier's sword

0129 Lair of a giant Boar

0816 Meeting with a hunting party of elves

Further on, I would add the following locations:

The Owlwood - The forest north of the Wayfarer's Inn

The Stonekeep - An abandoned fortress in the eastern mountains; 5-lvl dungeon

Foxgrove Hill - a Gnomish village whose workers are specialized in steam technology and firearms

I can detail all of these places to a great extend; it's part of a new home setting I am developing.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Sounds good and like an intelligent move to me! If you accepted me contributions on this, I would be delighted!

(I had placed my locations on the map this morning already, before I saw your later post, but had been a bit shy to post it. Smile )

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Further on, I think the idea with the twin liches is excellent! What about making them two-headed lich, sort of like Xaene, who dwells under Rauxes/World of Greyhawk?

- In general, I had thought of this place to lie somewhere between Valley of the Ancients (WL), the Kingdom of Karak, and the Thonian Rand (DA4), a rather peaceful land, a bit like the realms of the Arcadian Baroque and Enlightenment lyrics. (So, the Gnomes of Foxgrove Hill could be shepherds, for example.)

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Discussed the map and its possibility yesterday with a friend, and now it's pretty sure that SOMETHING will spawn out of it... Smile

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Havard:
sat down and tried to combine the Southlands with my Blackmoor map. My assumtion was that the big valley in the middle of the map was the Valley of the Ancients, so it effect it is mostly the southern part of the map that is being used. I'd also like to make use of some of the locations you guys have presented in this thread if you wouldnt mind.

If anyone is interested I can post the map here later tonite. Smile

Havard

Havard:

Sorry it took me so long, but I had some trouble getting it to look right. There are still a few things that need to be fixed, a couple of typos etc, but I wanted to let you guys get a look at what Ive been up to. I have shamelessly stolen ideas from your Southlands project, but clearly I am taking it in a slightly different direction. Hope you guys dont mind:

http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=270

Rafael:
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

That is so freaking cool, man!!!

Can't really express what happened to me when I saw the map!!!

Danced through my room like a Dropkick Murphys groupy!

Thank you so much!!!

Havard:
No problem! Your reaction alone makes it worth the effort Smile

Things that will be fixed:
* Typo in Khinzu mountains
* All black text blocks will get a white outline to make them easier to read.
* Molgor Swamp added in white
* Owl River needs a few side branches to make it look right in the Valley of the Ancients
* I'm considering adding texture to vastelands and mountainous regions. Possibly others as well (but its tedious work).
* Possibly adding some darker green base under the Marban Woods.
* Possibly replace Kingsgrave with more Frisian name
* Possibly replace or add locations in the lands of Hak with info from the DAB sourcebook (it was confusing though!)

The map is a Wayfarer's Inn exclusive for now.

By the way, I am also working on a technique to add hexes to these maps while keeping the "artsy" style that I have developed. Not sure if it will be an improvement, but some people really like hexes. Smile

Rafael:
:-D If you like, I can send you some more materials a friend and I have developed for the Southlands! Gotta consult that buddy, but think it would work out!

Havard:

That would be great Smile
Note that I am basing this on the following assumptions:
* I attached the lower half of the Southlands map to Dave Arneson's map as the northern half already partially mesh with the Blackmoor map.
* The Valley of the Ancients needed to be extended so that it will connect with the Wilderlands in the SouthEast.
* The lands north and west of the Wilderlands (south of Hak) is where I inserted most of Rob's ideas about the castle in the middle of the swamp. I also used your name of the Owlwoods there.
* The lands south of the Valley of the Ancients is the Thonian Province of Borno, ruled by the Marcovic family. Since not much is known about this area, we are quite free to develop it as we like. I think the Borno name is taken from Brno in the Czech republic (has a nice castle) and the Marcovic name sounds Serb/Croat to me. I inserted Rob's town of Bulwark here and the Dead Orc Woods along with some of your ideas. Im considering changing the Dead Orc Woods into something else since Orcs dont exist yet IMC, but Dead Beastman Wood doesn't sound quite good either.

Note to Rob: Just to make it clear: In case you dont like my blatant stealing of your ideas into my own project here, let me know and I will change them. I think the names are awesome, but I would have no problem respecting it if you would reserve them for your own take on the area. Smile

Havard

Apercu:
Nice work Havard.

Havard:
Thanks Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Hmm, very interesting. Smile

It's amazing what you can find rummaging through the forums - I've never seen Rob's "Southlands" depiction of the Outdoor Survival Map before.
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox