Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Map Necro - The Redwood Scar
Hello everyone.

It has been some time since I worked on the Redwood Scar. But, as I look at it now, I can turn a sad eye to the one gaping weakness of the product... the maps. Not that I'm truly disappointed with them, after all you get an adventure module for the adventure, not the artwork. But, think of this like looking at your living room after you put wallpaper up a decade ago and think to yourself, that needs to come down and get a new coat of paint. In this thread, I revisit the maps of the Redwood Scar, tear down the decade-old wallpaper, and gussy it up with a fresh modern coat of paint.

I am in no rush to complete these by any specific date, so the posts may be sporadic.

I am a game designer and cartophile, and by no means a professional cartographer or artist. I'm just passionate about Blackmoor. Please feel free to comment and critique. Where I can, I have created a Players' and GMs' copy of the maps for those that use VTT software.

Necro'd Maps:
Map 4: The Hedge Maze - original map by Jeff Quinn (me) done using Dunjinni (72dpi, 16-bit color, converted to greyscale), page 31.
Map 2: The Horror Beneath the Dove - original map by Dustin Clingman done using MS Paint? (no additional data, though I'd assume 72dpi, greyscale), page 21.

Enjoy!
Jeffrey Quinn
Writer & Game Designer
The first map up is Map 4: The Hedge Maze from page 31 of the adventure module. Map done at 300dpi with 100px squares in Photoshop CC.

Players' Map: HERE

GMs' Map: HERE

Enjoy!

Edit: Placed links for the maps instead of the whole maps. Cleans up the board a bit.
Jeffrey Quinn
Writer & Game Designer
Hey, Jeff!

I have to confess I was less than thrilled with a few of your later projects, but you should know as well that "The Redwood Scar", quite painly, is one of, if not THE favorite D&D adventure of all time, for me, even above most classics! Big Grin

So, many, many thanks for this great gift!

My personal complaint, if at all, wasn't the maps, but that it had no real ending or concluding explanation: As in, where does the scar come from, and where doe the players go from there? - Of course, you can find a way to continue the story, but what did YOU have in mind?

Did some part of the manuscript simply not make the cut, or did you intentionally leave things open? I know that the MMRPG offered at least some partial explanation to the story, but those later additions always felt kind of unnatural to me.
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:I have to confess I was less than thrilled with a few of your later projects, but you should know as well that "The Redwood Scar", quite painly, is one of, if not THE favorite D&D adventure of all time, for me, even above most classics!

"The Redwood Scar" was the second to last project I officially worked on, the last being "The Wizards' Cabal" sourcebook. I'm glad you liked it!

Raphael Pinthus Wrote:My personal complaint, if at all, wasn't the maps, but that it had no real ending or concluding explanation: As in, where does the scar come from, and where doe the players go from there? - Of course, you can find a way to continue the story, but what did YOU have in mind?

Did some part of the manuscript simply not make the cut, or did you intentionally leave things open? I know that the MMRPG offered at least some partial explanation to the story, but those later additions always felt kind of unnatural to me.

The module was meant to be the first in a series of modules that brought the players to the mystery of the scars (notice the plural). From there the characters discover what has rent the weave of magic apart, follow the trail through the lands of Blackmoor, into a number of demiplanes and through time, culminating with the PCs attempting to reunite the Westryn and Cumasti to heal the weave (remember the history of the Weeping Queen of the Westryn). So, yes I did leave things intentionally open. However, this was before the MMRPG (which I had nothing to do with).
Jeffrey Quinn
Writer & Game Designer
Thanks for the reply, man. I figured something like that had been happening behind the scenes, with the Googman Games deal ending, and all.

It's a real shame, though, because the whole setup - relative compatibility with the DA series, the previously uneplored areas, and aspects - would have done great as a condensed and streamlined introductory adventure path to the setting.

Is there any chance that you'll ever write a "spiritual successor", though? - I mean, especially with Mark Rein-Hagen recently entering the discussion, maybe there's even a chance for an official sequel? Smile
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:Is there any chance that you'll ever write a "spiritual successor", though? - I mean, especially with Mark Rein-Hagen recently entering the discussion, maybe there's even a chance for an official sequel? Smile

Mark is a fantastic designer. I have no ideas what his plans will be. But, I highly doubt there'll be anything official about the scars moving forward. However, if he ever wants to hit me up for notes about them and their mysteries... he can email me anytime.

Do I have a spiritual successor that finishes this off? Yes. I ran it many years ago for my original playtest group. I think by the time we were done with the adventure path, they reached 16-18 level.
Jeffrey Quinn
Writer & Game Designer
Hey Jeff,
just wanted to say that your maps look great! I think it is so cool that you are going back to revisit the Redwood Scar, the same way you did with the map for Ties That Bind.

I don't really have anything to suggest for changes for the map. Perhaps more locations could be added? That would require a bit more work than just pure mapmaking though Smile

And yes, I too would love to hear more about your ideas for continuing the story after the module ends! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Hey Jeff,
just wanted to say that your maps look great! I think it is so cool that you are going back to revisit the Redwood Scar, the same way you did with the map for Ties That Bind.

Confusedhock: Those maps, where can I find them? Big Grin

JPQuinn Wrote:Do I have a spiritual successor that finishes this off? Yes. I ran it many years ago for my original playtest group. I think by the time we were done with the adventure path, they reached 16-18 level.

And any chance that we might see this in a more generic environment - say, as a GG DCC module, like, say, "The Rat King"?

Not trying to pester you with this, but such a move would not be too uncommon, looking at the decade in the hobby. Smile
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:Confusedhock: Those maps, where can I find them? Big Grin

You can find it right HERE.

Raphael Pinthus Wrote:And any chance that we might see this in a more generic environment - say, as a GG DCC module, like, say, "The Rat King"?

Not trying to pester you with this, but such a move would not be too uncommon, looking at the decade in the hobby. Smile

You're right, it isn't uncommon. However, I don't even have access to the notes from that extended campaign any more (lost them in a flood about 4 years ago). I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but redoing these maps is tickling my creative itch again. I just don't know what system I'd even design with any more (well, I wouldn't use 4e).
Jeffrey Quinn
Writer & Game Designer
JPQuinn Wrote:
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:Confusedhock: Those maps, where can I find them? Big Grin

You can find it right HERE.

That is a cool map. I decided to start a separate thread for it, because I think it deserves it Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign