Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[WFI Repost] Dave at GenCon 2007?
http://wayfarer.myfreeforum.org/viewtop ... f=40&t=282

Apercu:
Did I see Dave's name on the guest list this year at Gencon? Thought I read that he was doing a seminar on the early days of Blackmoor too. The reason I ask is it looks like I am actually going this year, for the first time. This is at the top of my list of reasons why. I didn't sign up for gencon ahead of time, so I can't reserve a spot at Dave's presentation, but I plan to be there if I can get a seat.

Gsvenson:

I talked to Dave on Sunday evening and he said that he IS planning to be at Gencon. He indicated that he was giving a presentation and participating in several panel discussions in addition to hanging out at the ZGG booth. He even suggested that he might put together an unscheduled Blackmoor adventure for a select group of players (I assume that the adventure is for the MMRPG, but I didn't ask).

Apercu:
Excellent. Still getting the plane tickets situated, got a place to stay and it's looking like I'll be going. I'll know for sure within the next day. Dave's presentation is one of the reasons I want to go. Hope it doesn't sell out before I get my Gencon ticket. Since I snoozed on pre reg, I won't be able to get that til the 15th.

Apercu:
Met Dave tonight and picked up copies of Blackmoor and the Dungeons of Blackmoor. What a nice guy. Glad he's here and hope he gets to feeling better in the days to come. It was nice to see others come over and offer their appreciation for Dave and his work. He was nice enough autograph the First Fantasy Campaign book and said my copy was nicer than the one he's got. Looking forward to the seminar tomorrow.

Gsvenson:

I am glad that it worked out for you! Dave and I have been friends for nearly 40 years now and I have always found him to be a humble and generous man.

Apercu:

As I mentioned above, I got to meet Dave. I could tell he wasn't really feeling well, but he wanted to be there. He asked that I take no pictures, and I respected his wishes. He recently had foot surgery, and he wasn't happy with being in a wheel chair. I wouldn't be either. I got him to sign my First Fantasy Campaign book and talked briefly with him about how cool it must have been to be a part of that group in those days.

Dave wasn't feeling well the morning of the Blackmoor Memories seminar, and so they sent Dave Kenzer of Kenzer Co. Although I am a fan of Kenzer and the Knights of the Dinner Table comic, I'd rather have heard about Blackmoor. I'm guessing Dustin must have been busy too. Kenzer knew nothing of Blackmoor, but nobody seemed to mind.

If there is a next time for this seminar:

1-I hope that somebody who knows Blackmoor could be a part of the thing as a co host to assist Dave or take over if Dave isn't feeling well. I think Blackmoor deserves the same respect as any of the other settings. It is the one that started it all.

2-The Blackmoor community needs to get the word out if a seminar is planned next year. I'm sure more people would have attended had they known about it.

I saw Dave later at a Gencon history seminar, and he had a few stories to tell about the early days of the con. I stopped in to the booth one more time on Sunday and wished him my best. It couldn't have been that fun for him to be there when he probably would have been more comfortable resting at home, but he wanted to be there for his fans. I hope he knows there are a lot of people out there who appreciate what he did for Role Playing Games.

I finally picked up the new Blackmoor and Dungeons of Blackmoor books. I'm currently not playing D&D 3.5, but I like reading about this setting.

By the way, 4th Edition was announced at Gencon. Dave and Dustin have said that this will not effect Blackmoor. It will continue.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign