Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor's Dragons
What is known about Blackmoor's Dragons? What sets them apart from the Dragons of other settings?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:What is known about Blackmoor's Dragons? What sets them apart from the Dragons of other settings?

-Havard
They are the intermediate stage between a fey high lord/lady and Immortal
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
Here's some more stuff:
  • Blackmoor has many varieties of Dragons including unusual ones such as Gray and Brown.
  • There are three living Dragon Gods, Insellageth, Tsartha and Chamber
  • Insellageth's realm is known as the City of Father Dragon and is found somewhere on the Prime Plane, in a remote place called the Dragon Isles.
  • Most Good Dragons make their home in the City of Father Dragon.
  • Chamber's Realm is found near the City of Maus.
  • Tsartha's Realm may be found near the City of Glendover
  • Dragons are found in the service of most major nations, including Blackmoor, Thonia, the Duchy of Ten and the Egg of Coot.
  • Many dragons make their home in the Dragon Hills and the area surrounding Dragonia.
  • Unique warriors of Dragonia are known as Dragon Knights. Their exact connection to Dragons is unknown.
  • The Dragon Gods are worshipped by many mortal races of Blackmoor
  • Dragons ruled the lands surrounding Blackmoor at a time known as the Age of Dragons. This age ended as the more powerful dragons departed and the remaining dragons were driven away or brought to submission by Giants.

-Havard
The Ran of Ah Foo had an extensive dragon breeding program.

In the Blackmoor Gazette and Rumourmonger, it is mentioned that dragons do not breed true to type. Dragon eggs will hatch in random color types regardless of the color of their parents.

In GPoD we are told that only a small percent of dragons breed. I'd have to look it up for the % and I think there may be something a brown dragons being better breeders.

Dragons understand the speech of the priests of Vimulha.
Aldarron Wrote:Dragons understand the speech of the priests of Vimulha.

Er, may I offer a footnote to this? Dragons in Blackmoor do not speak any of the modern languages of Tekumel, in my experience. They do speak Irkutz, the ancient version / dialect of Nylssa, the language of Tekumel's ancient Dragon Lords. I am a descendant of them, and happen to be a speaker of the language; this came in very handy when Phil dropped us into Blackmoor Bay and into Dave and Gertie's lap. Dave rolled for Gertie's reaction to being addressed in Ancient Nlyssa, and I got a very positive reaction from her.

Non-Irkutz speakers are not advised to try this.

None of this came as much of a surprise to us, given the porous nature of the skin of reality that separates the pocket universes that Tekumel and Blackmoor inhabit, nor was it too surprising that the dragons of Blackmoor may or may not have been the inspiration for the legends of the great dragons that fought for the Dragon Lords. The mighty Sro of Tekumel, our own great dragons, hold that their cousins occasionally dropped by for visits; this may be the source of the incredible steel weapons that the Sro use - unusual, to say the least, on our iron-poor world...

Got to see Gertie - or at least her Plasticine form! - at Gary Con, this past weekend - and got to talk to people about Dave, Gary, and Phil to a lot of people. Photos and reports up on my blog, for your amusement...

yours, chirine
Hey Chirine!

Thanks for sharing this anecdote! I find it curious that Blackmoor's Dragons speak a language know to the Dragonlords of Tekumel! Does that mean they came to Blackmoor from Tekumel or that both come from a third Plane of Existance? Or perhaps Blackmoor's Dragons simply visited there?

Sorry for the late response BTW. I have been super busy, but things are looking a bit less busy now. I was happy to see some photos of Gertie from GaryCon, but I did not see any on your blog. You have been busy there though! Do you have a link to the specific article?

Who owns the Gertie miniature these days? Smile

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Thanks for sharing this anecdote! I find it curious that Blackmoor's Dragons speak a language know to the Dragonlords of Tekumel! Does that mean they came to Blackmoor from Tekumel or that both come from a third Plane of Existance? Or perhaps Blackmoor's Dragons simply visited there?

Sorry for the late response BTW. I have been super busy, but things are looking a bit less busy now. I was happy to see some photos of Gertie from GaryCon, but I did not see any on your blog. You have been busy there though! Do you have a link to the specific article?

Who owns the Gertie miniature these days? Smile

-Havard

Thank you for your reply!

1) Given the circumstances, the very high probability of our immediate and complete personal extinction, I wasn't going to complain. According to a great Sro-dragon I happen to know (who can normally be found on the bridge over the Missuma in the Jakalla Underworld) the Great Dragons of Blackmoor are cousins to them, and to the supposedly mythical Gaichiyal dragons of Tekumel. (The latter were the mounts of the all-conquering Dragon Lords, from whom I am descended, and which appear in one of Prof. Barker's novels.) The Great Dragons seem to have little trouble traveling between the worlds; the Gaichiyal share this ability, while the Sro seem to find it more difficult. They all seem to inhabit their own worlds, and just drop by for what amount to social calls to visit with the cousins.

Personally, I tend to dive for cover at the very notion.

2) I have not posted yet my pictures of Gertie on my blog, and I will do so as soon as I can. You can see her in one of my photos that I've posted on my Photobucket page; there's a link to this at the bottom of the left-had column of my blog. She's there in all her grey Plasticine glory!

3) As far as I know, Gertie is currently in the hands of Paul Stromberg, who had her on display as part of his fortieth anniversary of the publication of "Dungeon" at Gary Con. I will see about getting more photos of her, next time I see her. Smile

yours, chirine