Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Hoard of the Dragon Queen set in Blackmoor.
I am about to sit down with my Blackmoor book and the two adventures for The Rise of Tiamat(5E) and see if I can figure out how to place the adventure path in Blackmoor.

Anyone else already do this? I figure it's just a matter of converting organizations over from the realms to Blackmoor and then trying to figure out how to substitute locations.

Unless someone else comes along with the work done for me I will update this thread with my thoughts and perhaps even needs if I can't figure out what would be best.

I also want to come up with things to add so that the feel of Blackmoor comes through.

What locations and npc's do you guys consider must haves for a Blackmoor adventure 1-20(I plan on adding several side quest adventures to the adventure path along the way.
Mythlym Wrote:I am about to sit down with my Blackmoor book and the two adventures for The Rise of Tiamat(5E) and see if I can figure out how to place the adventure path in Blackmoor.

Anyone else already do this? I figure it's just a matter of converting organizations over from the realms to Blackmoor and then trying to figure out how to substitute locations.

Unless someone else comes along with the work done for me I will update this thread with my thoughts and perhaps even needs if I can't figure out what would be best.

That is a great idea! I just ran my first 5th Ed session last night Smile

I don't have Rise of Tiamat yet though. I will look forward to future posts in this thread and try to offer suggestions if you are interested Smile

Quote:I also want to come up with things to add so that the feel of Blackmoor comes through.

What locations and npc's do you guys consider must haves for a Blackmoor adventure 1-20(I plan on adding several side quest adventures to the adventure path along the way.

Well, some classics would be...

1) Castle Blackmoor (and its dungeon)
2) Temple of the Frog (and the swamps beyond)
3) City of the Gods (or at least have them take a look in the Valley of the Ancients, even if you're not taking them all the way to the City itself)
4) Dungeon of Glendover
5) Ruins of the Temple of Id
6) The Elven City of Ringlo Hall
7) The Dwarven Realm of the Regent of the Mines
8) The Peshwa Plains of the Horselords
9) The decadent and corrupt City of Starport in the Duchy of the Peaks
10) The Pirate Coast of the Duchy of Ten.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:I don't have Rise of Tiamat yet though.
SPOILER?

Rise of Tiamant may not be very useful, unless you like absurd-level games. My understaning is that it's not well balanced (at least not for Adventurer League play) and is designed to essentially end as a TPK.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
What Fin said. 5e, a solid system, but the adventures 've seen so far, naah.

Over the weekend, I talked to a few con hoppers here in town, and the overall consensus was, indeed,
that 5e is a real good system... To play D&D 3.5 adventures, so far. That made for one or two unintentional chuckles, after all the hype.

That's not to say that there aren't any good adventures out there already:

http://www.makeyourgamelegendary.com/pr ... h-edition/

This little company, helmed by PF vet Jason Nelson, is doing stuff that I find very easy to incorporate into my own D&D, for example.

That said, any pre-published adventure is always as good as the DM. If Mythlym can make a great game off Tiamat, who am I to judge, from the other side of the globe?! Smile
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:What Fin said. 5e, a solid system, but the adventures 've seen so far, naah.
Goodman Games has two 5E adventures out already and two more to be released soon. I haven't played any of them yet, but they seem pretty solid and Goodman has a proven track record in my book...
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D since 1975

- Dave Arneson

A foot of snow gave me some time to read both adventure path books and there is a lot in them that I can use but they are going to require almost a full rewrite. The adventure is just too much of a railroad. It also has a bad habbit of forcing the pc's down one strict path and hen punishing them for it.

Combine that with often negating player choice and actions(they beat the odds and defeat blank major menace just replace the menace with this exact copy when they would encounter him next.).

Anyway, Blackmoor will make a great setting for our 5E game butjust not that exact adventure path
I think the issue with Wizbro is, since the release of the OGL, they focus on releasing material for beginners,
leaving the more sophisticated adventure design largely to independent authors.

Tiamat, from what I could tell from briefly skimming through it, is, at its core, still a beginner adventure.
That's what breaks it for anyone who has some broader experience. The same with "Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil",
"Expedition to Castle Ravenloft", and some other WotC flagship titles. They are all great to run - unless you want to add something from yourself.
Don't forget, Wizards of the Coast have been making tons of previous edition material available through PDFs on the DNDClassics website as well as their reprints. Much of the old material is easy to convert to 5th Edition.

I don't mind the Hoard of the Dragon Queen being written for entry level characters. I am guessing this is the sort of material there is the most demand for anyway. More experienced players are more likely to make up their own stuff from scratch.

What creatures and fractions are used in the module? Who would be a good replacement for Tiamat?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Don't forget, Wizards of the Coast have been making tons of previous edition material available through PDFs on the DNDClassics website as well as their reprints. Much of the old material is easy to convert to 5th Edition.
True. During a lot of the 5E playtest phase (back when it was still called "D&D Next") my DM often ran us through older adventures and just converted over to the new rules. I think a lot of it was on the fly. I've run some of the older adventures that way as well and it works pretty well for me.
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D since 1975

- Dave Arneson

Hey, I am not saying what I say as a slight, FWIW. Smile Wizbro should, in fact, release more beginner-friendly material,
because their products are the gateway into the hobby. Most 3PP products are really well-thought and interesting,
but, let's face it, they are also about as quick and easy to run as it would take to write them oneself from scratch.

I remember when people, back during 3.0 days, gave much crap to "The Sunless Citadel".
That's a top-notch adventure! - For beginners.

In contrast, people then praised "The Fright At Tristor", for example, and that one was pretty sophisticated... But nearly impossible to run by the book.